Jacking points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacking points

OK, so I have a motorcycle jack that I picked up for the teardown this winter. After I rolled it up to the bike last night to check it out, I see that the exhaust system hangs lower than the frame.

How do you guys jack up your bikes so you can take the front end apart?

Eric
    Eric Roellig
    1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
    **Very first bike**
    Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Blocks of 2x4's on the jack, between the pipes. Frames are hard to put jacks or wood under. Just put the wood blocks on a level part of the oilpan.
    "But... then you'd be jacking the bike up by the engine!"
    Yeah, so... the engine is 80% of the weight of the bike. Everything attaches to the engine.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

To jack up the front, I use an auto floor jack and a block of wood under the center frame member between the pipes (near the cam tensioner)

Comment

Me too. I don't know if I could trust the stability of a motorcycle lift jack.

Originally posted by randy
        To jack up the front, I use an auto floor jack and a block of wood under the center frame member between the pipes (near the cam tensioner)
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I use a block of wood and the trusty Wal-Mart 2 1/2 ton floor jack.
          You can also use the center stand and ( with some help ) teeter the bike rearward and have your helper ( or your self ) place a block of wood and a jack stand on the front engine mount bolt.
          Supported rafters and a few ratchet straps work to. Takes a little bit of time and is very unstable. Hmmm,,. I have know idea how I know that...
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Forgot to mention,

While i have the front wheel off, the floor jack enables me to lower the front far enough to remove the rear wheel without messin with the fender

Comment

I use my cycle jack to lift the bike by the 2x4 on the oil pan method mentioned above. I then use a jack stand in the front and a couple of blocks in the back to hold it there. Sometimes I just use the center stand for the rear and a jack stand in the front. Either way, I jack up and then remove the jack. Just like with a car: I don't find a jack stable or convenient to hold the bike.
              1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Thanks for the ideas..

Eric
                Eric Roellig
                1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                **Very first bike**
                Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X