Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELDER's LED flasher

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ELDER's LED flasher

    I got one from Ted a couple years ago and tried installing it tonight. I tried when I got it with no luck and put it away because i had other stuff going on. I have new bulbs and while they light when switched on, no flashing. There are 3 colored wires and a ground. I can only get the bulb to light with one combination of wires to plug but no light. Does anyone else have one and if so, can you shed any light on it?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

    "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



    1980 LG
    1981 LH

  • #2
    Are they just normal LED bulbs? Only thing I can think of at the moment is that if each bulb has multiple LED's then the flasher may not be compatible.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have one too but never tried to hook it up. Gonna try now though....

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220913_221045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	870403

      Ok, I got it to flash properly. I haven't tested the self cancel feature yet, will do that soon.
      Wiring is as follows...

      Green wire to ground
      Red wire to Brown
      Purple wire to Brown/White
      Blue wire to Yellow/Green

      These are the LED bulbs I am running...

      https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...ns+color-Amber
      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-13-2022, 09:01 PM.
      2H7 (78)
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        I have one too but never tried to hook it up. Gonna try now though....

        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20220913_221045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	870403

        Ok, I got it to flash properly. I haven't tested the self cancel feature yet, will do that soon.
        Wiring is as follows...

        Green wire to ground
        Red wire to Brown
        Purple wire to Brown/White
        Blue wire to Yellow/Green

        These are the LED bulbs I am running...

        https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...ns+color-Amber
        When i go with that configuration i don't have anything. I'm using Sylvania bulbs.
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

        "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



        1980 LG
        1981 LH

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          I have new bulbs and while they light when switched on, no flashing. :
          Have you tried the new bulbs to see if they flash with a standard 2 prong electronic flasher?

          Is this a 79 Special you are working on? Reason I ask is that on that particular bike, there is only a single indicator bulb on the instrument panel which will cause a non flash issue with LED's.
          2H7 (78)
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

          Comment


          • #6
            You need to put two diodes in the lines for the indicator on a Special with the single indicator. One diode on each lead so electricity only flows TO the indicator. That should fix the problem.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              You need to put two diodes in the lines for the indicator on a Special with the single indicator. One diode on each lead so electricity only flows TO the indicator. That should fix the problem.
              What single indicator and what diode?
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

              "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



              1980 LG
              1981 LH

              Comment


              • #8
                I think DiverRay is explaining that you have only one light in your instrument panel to show if the turn signal is on ("single indicator").

                To avoid crosstalk between the between the LH turn circuit and the RH turn circuit, you need diodes on each circuit so the current flows through the indicator light without affecting the opposite turn signal circuit.

                I have never messed with these circuits. I just understood what he meant.


                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 42k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 20k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 7k miles

                Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  I think DiverRay is explaining that you have only one light in your instrument panel to show if the turn signal is on ("single indicator").

                  To avoid crosstalk between the between the LH turn circuit and the RH turn circuit, you need diodes on each circuit so the current flows through the indicator light without affecting the opposite turn signal circuit.

                  I have never messed with these circuits. I just understood what he meant.

                  The panel has 2 sides that light to indicate a signal. I'll open it tonight to see if there are 2 bulbs.
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

                  "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



                  1980 LG
                  1981 LH

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Your Special is not a 1979 Special. The '79 has only one bulb.

                    I'm sure you will find separate bulbs in your '80 and '81. You shouldn't need any diodes, but I'll let BikerPhil and DiverRay advise you.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 42k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 20k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 7k miles

                    Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ok, after riding about 20 miles with this flasher unit I have found that most of the time it cancels too soon (for my liking), before the turn is even completed. I was paying more attention to if the signals were still flashing than the road, so it's already off the bike and back with the spares. It does work though. I don't have any clue why yours is not working Duwayne.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-14-2022, 01:02 PM.
                      2H7 (78)
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Ok, after riding about 20 miles with this flasher unit I have found that most of the time it cancels too soon (for my liking), before the turn is even completed. I was paying more attention to if the signals were still flashing than the road, so it's already off the bike and back with the spares. It does work though. I don't have any clue why yours is not working Duwayne.
                        Thanks for the help.
                        on this one no light unless I go
                        red to brown and white
                        Purple to brown
                        Blue to green and yellow.
                        Lights on with the indicator switch but no flashing.
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

                        "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



                        1980 LG
                        1981 LH

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post

                          Thanks for the help.
                          on this one no light unless I go
                          red to brown and white
                          Purple to brown
                          Blue to green and yellow.
                          Lights on with the indicator switch but no flashing.
                          Yep, I found that combination too, lights went on but no flash.
                          2H7 (78)
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Easy fix pertaining to the flasher...........swap it out for a digital flasher....problem solved.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Easy fix pertaining to the flasher...........swap it out for a digital flasher....problem solved.
                              Bought one, a 3 plug unit
                              didn't help. Phil is sending me the one he had.
                              We'll see how that goes
                              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

                              "Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



                              1980 LG
                              1981 LH

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X