I need a new battery in 2022 for a 1980 XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new battery in 2022 for a 1980 XS11

My battery is done. It might be 10 years old. It has a Deka AGM in it. Apparently, I can't get one of those. How about a Yuasa AGM? I can't find that either. How about an AGM that fits properly in the hole and has the proper CCA? Have any of you been through this lately? I want a quality battery. Thanks.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

I'm not sure if you would perceive this as a quality battery, but I have this one in some of my bikes; the longest for 6-7 years, and I am completely satisfied with them. They are my first choice these days.

https://www.batterysharks.com/Yamaha...hoC7mwQAvD_BwE

The shipments arrive at my house within 2-3 days after I place the order with this vendor.

NOTE: I generally stopped using trickle chargers after I went AGM. I might top them off for a few days with the trickle charger halfway through the Michigan winter, but I am not religious about it.
    Last edited by Radioguylogs; 08-19-2022, 08:43 PM.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Mike,
      The battery in your link is the correct dimensions?

I will have to check the date code, but I got a lot of years on the Deka. The only charging it got was from the bike’s alternator. No matter. It seems Deka doesn’t make out battery any more.

Thanks for the link, Mike.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Yes, dimensions are same as the original OE battery.

Battery terminals have the correct LH/RH orientation.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I have a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Specal and recently ordered and installed this AGM from Amazon. Same size, same post configuration as stock; not sure, however, about CCA matching. Free delivery if your a Prime user.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BX0VU4U...roduct_details

Comment

I want another Deka or Yuasa AGM battery. I guess I have to get over it.

I did once get 9 years out of an AGM battery from MiKe’s XS! That was in my XS650.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I have been lucky with the AutoZone AGM battery for a few years. I use that in my 80 SG and also my 99 ZRX 1100. Better than Walmart.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Marty, I too just purchased the Sigmas Tex STX24HL-BS battery from Battery Shark that Radioguylogs recommended above. It is a replacement for one just like it that I purchased in May of 2015 when I was restoring my SF. Got over 7 years out of it. Got what I thought was good service out of a relatively inexpensive battery. Stays on a BatteryMinder Plus, Model 12117TC, that I got from Northern Tool when waiting in the basement for the next ride. Going to Barber Vintage Weekend October 6-9 with 3 buddies. Hope to see you there.
                1979 XS1100SF
                Original Owner-purchased January 1980

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  My battery is done. It might be 10 years old. It has a Deka AGM in it. Apparently, I can't get one of those. How about a Yuasa AGM? I can't find that either. How about an AGM that fits properly in the hole and has the proper CCA? Have any of you been through this lately? I want a quality battery. Thanks.
                  https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...es-xs1100-1100
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 (All) 1100CC Motorcycle Battery at Batteries Plus
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the responses. If I want a face-to-face customer service, I have NAPA, O'Rielly's, Interstate and Batteries Plus.

I did a little research and learned that the appropriate NAPA or O'Rielly battery, are made by East Penn Manufacturing. They make the Deka brand. That said, and both NAPA and O'Rielly are close by. I'll pick one of those. Thanks again!
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

With the supply chain shortages often times Yuasa is not available so we go with power max from Parts Unlimited or Fire Power from WPS. We are dealers with the major parts supply houses and due to the covid shut down (another story), supplies in many areas have been limited

Comment

My Deka battery lasted from August 2015 to August 2022. I’ve owned several of them. NAPA batteries are the exact same manufacturer. So, I walked into NAPA and ordered a battery. I picked it up 24 hours later. The price was very competitive, plus they gave me a veteran discount. If it fails, I have a place to hand carry it.

I greatly appreciate the responses in this thread. Thank you! I took my Eleven Special on a 40 mile errand yesterday and stretched it to 100 miles.

BTW, the AGM battery for this bike is also available available from O’reilly for about the same price and it is also made by East Penn. Click image for larger version

Name:	B655E72A-15B1-47E3-B765-4A76E48EF8AB.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	870277
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment