Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Confusion

XS1100F 1979
    Well, the plug wires on my bike are hard as rock, and while I got a good primary coil reading within spec, I could not get a secondary reading at all. I tried to dig out one of the plug wires, knowing it's possible to swap only the plug wires on older coils with a little luck and patience--but having little luck with that. So, looking for advice on an aftermarket set of coils. Hard to find ones that match the 1.5 primary 15K secondary ohm spec in the service manual. What is a proven model for replacement?

I found these, but with slightly different resistance specs (2.4 primary, 12.5 secondary):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/202668796699

Can I get away with these, perhaps with adjusting resistance elsewhere?

thanks all
    Mike
    1979 XS1100F
    1978 Suzuki GS750E

Yeah, just connect the two wires at the ballast resistor to each other, then cover with heat shrink tubing(ask me why!!), and install a set of 3 Ohm coils.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Forden View Post
      XS1100F 1979
      Well, the plug wires on my bike are hard as rock, and while I got a good primary coil reading within spec, I could not get a secondary reading at all. I tried to dig out one of the plug wires, knowing it's possible to swap only the plug wires on older coils with a little luck and patience--but having little luck with that. So, looking for advice on an aftermarket set of coils. Hard to find ones that match the 1.5 primary 15K secondary ohm spec in the service manual. What is a proven model for replacement?

I found these, but with slightly different resistance specs (2.4 primary, 12.5 secondary):
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/202668796699

Can I get away with these, perhaps with adjusting resistance elsewhere?

thanks all
      Mike
      what Ray said. Looking at the specs of that listing states they are only 2.42 ohms. most use these as replacements Dyna Ignition Coils 3 ohm Dual Output DC1-1 Wires DW-200 Suzuki GSXR 1100 | eBay
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        Yeah, just connect the two wires at the ballast resistor to each other, then cover with heat shrink tubing(ask me why!!), and install a set of 3 Ohm coils.
        ok I'll bite, why cover with heat shrink?
        1979 XS1100F
        1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Because if you don't, it can short to ground and blow the ignition fuse. When it happens on a road way up the hill from anything, it's a real PITA!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

Sounds fun. so to be clear, I'm removing the ballast resistor altogether and just connecting the leads together?
            1979 XS1100F
            1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Yes, with a 2.8 Ohm coil that is all you need to do, other than making sure the ballast resistor connection will not short to anything. Electrical tape wrapped along the wire will also work.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

Great thanks. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have success transplanting new lead wires into the original coils? I know it's been done on OE coils for the GS I have, but I didn't have much luck with the first wire I tried to dig out of the XS coil. I didn't get a reading for secondary coil resistance, but the wires are so bad, just rock hard and I didn't trust the reading. I thought the coils themselves might still be ok.

I'm likely to go with the Dynas, but worth looking into anyway...
                1979 XS1100F
                1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Great thanks. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have success transplanting new lead wires into the original coils? I know it's been done on OE coils for the GS I have, but I didn't have much luck with the first wire I tried to dig out of the XS coil. I didn't get a reading for secondary coil resistance, but the wires are so bad, just rock hard and I didn't trust the reading. I thought the coils themselves might still be ok.

I'm likely to go with the Dynas, but worth looking into anyway...
                  here is the tech repair tip about new wires in old coils. New Wires in Old Coils - XS11.club Forums most at this point just go with the dynas. you can also check over at xj4ever.com. they sale the dynas for our bikes with wires and mounts already prefabbed. also be sure to check out the repair tip on the dyna coils. Dyna Coil Upgrade - XS11.club Forums just remember to go with the DC1-1 coils and bypass the ballast resistor like Ray suggested.
                  Last edited by cajun31; 04-19-2022, 03:52 PM.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

I had good sucess putting new wires in old coils. I think I may have a set of coils but would have to look. I have an 80 SG so you would have to check if they would work.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thanks--sadly the thread Cajun31 posted above (showing the wire swap procedure) is apparently closed and you can only see part of the first post. I've hit up a couple of the admins to see if they can retrieve it.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Thanks--sadly the thread Cajun31 posted above (showing the wire swap procedure) is apparently closed and you can only see part of the first post. I've hit up a couple of the admins to see if they can retrieve it.
                        Forden, you can still view the "new wires in old coils" thread at the old site: New Wires in Old Coils (xs11.com)
                        Bob's Bikes:
                        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                        "
                        Project XS11"
                        "Rucksack Grunt"
                        "Small Unit Leadership"
                        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                        For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post

Forden, you can still view the "new wires in old coils" thread at the old site: New Wires in Old Coils (xs11.com)
                          Ah, brilliant! Thank you! Wasn't aware of the old site.
                          1979 XS1100F
                          1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

I have a set of untouched stock coils.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                              I have a set of untouched stock coils.
                              my bad i had just assumed Tplank had edited all of these. i assume maybe someone with edit abilities will fix the thread on the new site. the pictures are there on the old site. Tplank are you still with us?
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X