Exhaust System??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Marty, after researching MAC and being directed to other forums discussing them it seems that Covid 19 was not what caused them to fold. They are based in California and new EPA guidelines are what caused their demise. They built not only aftermarket for motorcycle but hot rod as well. The hot rod forums are where I came upon the discussion concerning the EPA discussions. Sad really. The EPA is making it difficult to begin with, but we all know how extreme California is getting,. It would be great if they would relocate to Texas and build again. Who knows, maybe they will.
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess the timing was just coincidence. I hope there are still enough XS11s on the road for someone to offer a new exhaust.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the timing was just coincidence. I hope there are still enough XS11s on the road for someone to offer a new exhaust.
      with the cafe craze in full swing I would have thought more exhaust would become available.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

with the cafe craze in full swing I would have thought more exhaust would become available.
        Yes, I fear it's the XS11. The popularity is falling. This forum used to be very busy. Interest is waning. Over at XS650.com it's busy and there are lots of parts to keep them going. Just the same, it's still mostly old guys.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Unfortunately, sometimes, the sum of the parts is worth greater than the whole. If you've been into muscle cars, the 70's & 80's was a hard time to try to piece one together. Aftermarket support wasn't there and trying to source parts was a never ending goose chase over what was usually garbage. Lots of restorable cars got cannabalized for a few rare parts then sent off to the scrap yard.

If you can find a whole basement dweller with the parts you need, it would probably be cheaper than looking for the parts individually.
          1979 XS1100 Special
          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I need a new complet exhaust for my XS 1100 1978 4/1 I cant find It (live in Denmark)

Comment

Originally posted by René View Post
              I need a new complet exhaust for my XS 1100 1978 4/1 I cant find It (live in Denmark)
              There used to be a place in Germany making them. You’ll have to search the forum for that info.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

try e bay they have alot of parts
                motorcycle junk yard
                80 xs1100G

Comment

Here's what I did with the ass end (muffler) when it broke off the header. These are Universal stainless from Amazon ($63.99 ea.). I welded a 1-5/8" OD x 1.5" long nipple to the back end of the header. I also added another flat bar for additional support (Lowes Brace N234-997). Inside the muffler channel is a 3/8-16 square nut. A small metal piece also added for a kick stand stop. As you can see, I have no center stand or passenger foot peg mounting bracket which don't work with a lowered bobber such as this. It's definitely louder when accelerating. But cruising is quiet.
                  Last edited by Osprey2; 06-10-2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Hi DGarrett, I went through the same dilemma as you when I bought my '79 Special. I was new to the bike as well. The PO had cut the pipes too short and the mufflers that were welded on were crap. I found it near impossible (unless you're flush with cash) to find a complete exhaust system and MAC, as mentioned, was no more. What help me was first to identify the correct system as I understand the flanges where they bolt to the headers differ between the special and the standard although the years matters less. This link on the site is very helpful: https://xs11.club/forum/repairs/inte...austs-footpegs . What I ended up doing was buying a set of pipes, which are easier to find, and then buying brand new (slip on) turn-out mufflers with baffles at a decent price. I think mine were the EMGO Universal Muffler Turnout? Good luck.

Comment

The biggest problem with finding an exhaust system is the pocket book. I have some sets here that are almost new but everyone wants to pay $150 for them. Same when it comes to the guy who builds them in stainless. Price dictates that anyone who really wants a set can get them, just not for cheap. Add shipping and everyone says hell no! Look on FB marketplace and every other possible site and you may just find what you want, even fleabay. If you find a decent set they will not be cheap. Probably easier to buy another bike for parts and scavenge the exhaust off of it.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I've a set off my XS11E. The weep ports have rotted out but would probably accept new cans. PM if you're interested. Where are you located? Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_171107_resized.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	869153 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_171206_resized.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	869154
                        Darrell
                        78E
                        80G project
                        06FJR