No announcement yet.

1980 XS1100SG which CDI do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool! There have been one or two people here who have done machines like that, and done them well. You will need to try and put all the electrical, battery, etc. behind the seat to hide it. It isn't that hard, just takes money for the battery, reg/rec. to work with it, and figuring out the interface for the gauges.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi, I should receive the CDI this week, so I'm preparing with the wiring diagram, I found this one on the forum, will it be ok?

80sg_81sh_wire.pdf (xs11.club)

Plus, I found an interesting video of a guy wiring an XS1100RH, could I use it for my SG?

Yamaha XS1100 Cafe Racer Project - Episode 23 - Wiring Part 1 (Light and Power) - YouTube

Thanks

PS I do not even find the CDI in the diagram I just posted...
      Last edited by kengo; 03-08-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

The first diagram is correct. The CDI is called an IGNITOR UNIT, and sits at the lower right corner. There are two connectors to it, a four pin from the pickup coils, and the eight pin, seven wires used, going to the rest of the system. Let me know if you need more help with what wires are a must, and what wires you can do without to start the bike.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks again, that diagram looks like a labyrinth so I will need again your help for sure...

Comment

Just start with one wire, say from the pickup coil to the TCI. Put that on, then go to the second wire and on down the line. Have a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) so you can verify connections and resistance readings. The pickup coils have two blue wires, but one runs to EACH coil, and they do not interchange in the TCI, so you need to keep the coil wire pairs together. measuring the resistance is a good way to do this.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by kengo View Post
              Thanks again, that diagram looks like a labyrinth so I will need again your help for sure...
              Based on the fact that you are headed in this same direction with your bike I would suggest that you search for Andy's Motorcycle Obsession on Youtube. Specifically these two episodes:
              Yamaha XS1100 Cafe Racer Project - Episode 23 - Wiring Part 1 (Light and Power) - YouTube
              Yamaha XS1100 Cafe Racer Project - Episode 24 - Wiring Part 2 and Spark Fail - YouTube

Of course watching the whole series should give you many ideas and suggestions as you work your way through your build.

I am generally a purist but the work that Andy did with his truly impressed me. The reason being that he lives in Australia and they have laws on the books that make you abide by them in keeping the machine completely safe and road worthy. I have seen too many cafe's done with nothing more then getting the bike cut down to look like a cafe with no regard to safety. Doing it right means keeping it safe as well as unique.
              Last edited by cajun31; 03-09-2022, 11:10 PM.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

The difference with CDI's lies in the vacuum advance. Early engines have both vacuum and mechanical spark advance later has only one. Check under the timing cover, The later CDI is wired to add the advance.
                Resigned

Comment

cajun31, Loch, thanks for your advice, I´m still waiting for the CDI, looks like a long way with mexican custom...

Comment

You can still work on the wire harness. You have the schematic, just follow each wire and verify with a DVM that the switches open and close as needed. For the TCI(not a CDI) just verify ohm reading for each pickup coil at the connector for the TCI. You can then verify wires from TCI to the coils, and check the ballast resistor to make sure it's in spec. This way, when the TCI arrives you should be ready to plug in and fire it up.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Hi everybody, the CDI finally arrived (ebay seller made a mistake with the shipping address ) looks like it's working good, now the problem is that the start motor is working but it's not fast/strong enough, I open and check it, brushes looks ok, any idea on which could be the problem?I would like to fix this and not spending for another one (and wait for it).Thanks

ps does the solenoid affect on the spinning (I tried the motor without it) ?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by kengo; 04-08-2022, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Check the ground connections! The battery to frame, frame to engine are both prone to rusting. This will make for a poor connection and a slow starter, as it can't pull the Amps needed to spin properly. Also, check the battery voltage with a VOM while you are trying to start the engine. with a new battery, fully charged, it should be about 11 to 12 Volts.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Hi Diver, the starter motor is now separated from the bike and I´m trying it directly with my car battery, but it´s very slow and you can clearly see it´s not strong enough, but it´s a very simple object and I´m sure there´s a way to fix it, the problem is that I´ve no idea how.

Comment

Sounds like rebuild or replace time. They are not hard to rebuild, as they are simple. What is your location? I know there are shops that can rebuild, or you can try it yourself. it doesn't cost much, or take that much time to get the starter to turning like it should.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

I live in Mexico, I just found a video on YT where a guy repair the same starter engine and at the end he shows how it works, now I can make a comparison with mine and, to be honest, mine doesn't look so different (I was expecting it to be stronger) so I was thinking that the problem could also be that all the gears this starter should move, could be too hard and need some maintenance.

the video:

Rebuilding motorcycle starter - 1982 Yamaha - YouTube

Comment

After viewing that video, if you follow it you should have no problems. Two things I do, 1. use a vise to hold the motor while trying to loosen the screws. 2. I have a drill press, so I can put the armature in it to clean where the brushes ride. I use VERY FINE sand paper and a flat bit of steel to back the sand paper so it is square.
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                                X