1980 XS1100SG which CDI do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100SG which CDI do I need?

Hi, everybody, I'm new to the forum, I need some help but I have no idea where to ask for it in this forum, very simple (for you) I have recently bought a 1980 XS1100SG (serial 3J600xxxx), I need to find the right CDI but when I look for it I can only see CDI for XS1100 79-81 or CDI for XS1100 78-80 .etc., so can someone here tell me which would be the right one for my bike and how to reconize it since all are Hitachi TID14-01?Thanks

Welcome to the forum Kengo. This is from partzilla.com, (a good source for cross referencing parts), indicating that 1978 thru 1980 all use the same ignition unit.

This Yamaha 2H7-82305-10-00 IGNITOR UNIT ASSEMBLY 1 fits the following models and components:

Yamaha Motorcycle 1980 XS1100SG
    Yamaha Motorcycle 1980 XS1100LG
    Yamaha Motorcycle 1980 XS1100G
    Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS1100F
    Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS1100E

Good luck,
    Bob
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Yep, the 4R0 type (81) and 10M type (82) are the wrong ones, 2H7 is the correct one (78-80).

Pretty sure the 2H7 type is not marked 2H7, but the other 2 types are clearly marked 4R0 and 10M..
      Last edited by bikerphil; 02-24-2022, 08:40 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Years ago, I had one go bad on me. A fellow member here tried to solder something in it but would not fix the issue. I bought a spare just in case It was used but still have it.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hi everybody, thanks so much for your help, I just bought the CDI on ebay, still waiting for it, now I have another question for you, since the electrical part is completely destroyed, I found a complete wiring harness, they say is for 1978-1981 XS1100 models, my question is, will it be ok for my 1980 model?Or it dependes on which XS1100 it was taken from?Since my is a 1980 XS1100SG ?Hope you can help me, thanks

Comment

If they say it's for a '78-81, it's probably for a Standard. You have a Special, so no, it will not work. Most ebay sellers do NOT know what they have, and don't care. You need to see the OEM number on the part, and it should start with the correct prefix, and 2H7 works on some parts, but NOT wire harness.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi DiverRay, so, which prefix you think I should look for (and where can I find it so I can ask for a picture}? The part is this one, link:

Instalacion Yamaha Xs1100 78-81 | Meses sin intereses (mercadolibre.com.mx)

EDIT: Another harness is this one on eby, this is the same seller where I bought the CDI:

1978 Yamaha XS1100 Y307-2) principal arnés de cableado | eBay

Plus, my project is for a cafe racer, I don't know if this change something, I only want to get the bike started, so, could this harness be helpful and then I could modify it?Thanks
              Last edited by kengo; 03-02-2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I do not understand Spanish. I butcher English, and that is what I grew up speaking. Because of that, I can't comment on the one sellers product. The first one is for a Standard, so the connectors WILL be different. The second shows some signs of being cut, but may be easier to modify for what you need. Just for starting and testing, they should both work but the Standard(first) one will need some mods.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks for your answer, to be honest the spanish description does not say anything about the product, unfortunately I didn't see that the same seller where I bought the CDI also had the harness, I would had bought both with just one shipping cost. Do you think the standard harness will fit with the 2H7 CDI I just bought and let me start the engine?I mean, if differences are just for lights, I can make an hybrid with the wires I already have, if differences are more important, I don't know what to do.
                  PS I'm Italian from Florence

Comment

OK, as I said, I'm NOT the one for anything but English! My wife can speak and read French and German! You should be able to use the 2H7 harness to start the bike, The connectors and location of the CDI WILL be different, but any problem can be solved with time and money. The CDI on the 2H7 is located on the rear fender. On the Specials, it's under the seat. There is plenty of wire to relocate the CDI, so that is easy. The big problems will be with the connectors for the handlebar switches, as some of them are different on the Specials. And yes, I own a '79 Special and a '78 Standard now, and at one time had 4 XS1100's of different years.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

A couple of pictures, this is how I bought it like one month ago:

Comment

OK, you do have a good start. Real brakes on the front, and I see any wire harness will work, as it will need a lot of mods to get things working. Don't worry about what year/model the harness is from. Plan on pulling the cover off the harness, except for the engine section, so you can put required parts in locations you want them. Pickup coil wires from left side, Alt wires from right side of engine. Alt is two large connectors that go to the right sidecover of bike, pickup coils join with neutral switch wire from left side, and end up behind right side cover as well. Hope this gives you a start!
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Hi, this is the CDI (plus some extra parts) I bought, now I don't have more pitures but it says 2H7, I'm thinking about buying the harness at spanish link, do you think there will be a way to put them togther working?

PS: I also attached some pictures of the disastrous situation under the tank
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kengo; 03-03-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

It looks like the PO already has all the wire harness open. You may be able to use what is there, and get the bike running. Download the wire diagram for the bike and start matching wire colors to function. Label each wire so you know how they did go, and you should then be able to connect what you need to make sure it runs. The ballast resistor, silver metal thing with two red/white wires, will need to be installed as you have the stock coils. If you install 3 Ohm aftermarket coils you can bypass the resistor. That will be later, though. Main thing you want to do is connect power to key switch, kill switch, and pickup coils/TCI box. Let me know if you have questions with it, and I'll try to see if I still have some documents that may help you.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks again for your answers/suggestions, in a few days I'll receive the CDI and we will see what happen, I'm pretty sure I will need your help again...by the way, this is how I would like the bike to be one day:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X