Help a noob? '79 XS1100F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
    The only difference between the F & SF carbs is the choke handle and the emulsion tubes. On the F the tubes are all the same. On the SF the tubes that go in cylinders 2 & 3 have less holes. Less holes is less air making a richer mixture to help keep the two inner cylinders a little cooler.
    After reading this, I did some more research and checked my carbs upon diassembly. It appears I am supposed to have two each of 266 X-2 and 301 X-2 for the SF carbs. My carbs have three 266 and one 301. How much of an impact could this have had on how the engine was running? Gonna order another 301 X-2 to make sure all is correct. Thanks for mentioning this. I never would have checked.

Jets and bowl gaskets should be here tomorrow. Carbs are diassembled and I have begun the cleaning process. The emulsion tubes were very crusty from sitting for the last year. Everything else looked pretty good overall. I finally got a new set of springs and ball bearings for the choke shaft since I lost mine during my initial diasassembly. Just goes to show why you should read the manual before disassembly. Oh well, moving along nicely.

Comment

Well I have some bad news....it appears every pilot screw tip is broken off in the carb body. I had a guy sync the carbs for me almost a year ago because at that moment I did not have the tool, time, or knowledge to do it myself. I know that I did not break them when replacing them so he must have broken them at that time of the sync. I've read through some old threads about how to get these out but some are difficult to understand and some a little risky. Does anyone have a best practice for getting these out?

Comment

XS had to get put on hold for the holidays. Slowly getting back to it. I was able to get the broken pilot screws out of the carb bodies. Should be ready to get those back together and on the XS soon.

Are there any sources for replacement pilot screws or does somebody have a set they would sell. That should be all I need to get the carbs buttoned up. Also picked up a synch tool for when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub89 View Post
          XS had to get put on hold for the holidays. Slowly getting back to it. I was able to get the broken pilot screws out of the carb bodies. Should be ready to get those back together and on the XS soon.

Are there any sources for replacement pilot screws or does somebody have a set they would sell. That should be all I need to get the carbs buttoned up. Also picked up a synch tool for when the time comes.
          4x Yamaha 1978 1979 XS1100 Carburetor Carb Rebuild Kit - 4 KITS | eBay only use the pilot screws and springs and the float needle seats and needle valves and the float bowl gaskets. The rest you probably can throw out. at the cost of these for all four you will be good.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jdub89 View Post

I suggest making sure the broken off tapered tips of those broken pilot jets are not stuck in those orfice holes.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

I suggest making sure the broken off tapered tips of those broken pilot jets are not stuck in those orfice holes.
              If you look at my second post on this page, you will see that was exactly what i was dealing with. I was able to successfully get them all out. Now I'm just looking to replace.

Comment

To help with not breaking the tips again, try this.
                1. install screw without spring and turn down all the way with your fingers, NO TOOLS.
                2. Once it stops, mark slot with a score on the carb body.
                3. measure the height between the carb body and top of screw. this will give you an idea of how close you are to "bottom".
                4. remove, then re-install with spring and turn down almost to mark/height. I usually figure about 1/4 turn before the mark.
                5. now back out to 2.5 turns.
                6. repeat for rest of carbs.
                This should allow you to get close for starting, and once warm, you can do final adjustments and sync on carbs.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  To help with not breaking the tips again, try this.
                  1. install screw without spring and turn down all the way with your fingers, NO TOOLS.
                  2. Once it stops, mark slot with a score on the carb body.
                  3. measure the height between the carb body and top of screw. this will give you an idea of how close you are to "bottom".
                  4. remove, then re-install with spring and turn down almost to mark/height. I usually figure about 1/4 turn before the mark.
                  5. now back out to 2.5 turns.
                  6. repeat for rest of carbs.
                  This should allow you to get close for starting, and once warm, you can do final adjustments and sync on carbs.
                  Thanks, great tip! I'm not worried about breaking them though. I didnt break them to begin with. I only found out they were all snapped off after I let someone else work on the bike. That was my mistake. I've got some new ones on the way. We will see how it goes this time around!

Comment

Working...
                  X