No announcement yet.

Did you keep the octopus, or ditch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you keep the octopus, or ditch it?

Wanted to test my impression that most people ditch the octopus and just run a couple of fuel lines.
    Kept it. Was working fine.
    21.05%
    Kept it. Needed repair.
    31.58%
    Ditched it. (insert your motivation here)
    47.37%
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

I ditched it. It's complicated. If the vacuum diaphragm fails (leaks), then it pulls gas into the #2 intake cylinder. Not good. It's better to keep things simple, learn to close the petcocks. Problem solved.
    '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
    '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
    Stan Hutchison

Comment

I definitely kept it when I had my carbs. Now with the EFI build it is not needed.

Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Long gone, but now I use a Pingel inline vacuum valve, only 3 hoses connect it. High quality. It sucks if you have to worry if you turned off your fuel valve(s).
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've had several and never got rid of them.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

When refurbished correctly and routed correctly it is a good safety device. I would never get rid of it. Of course I have a habit of always turning my petcocks off anytime I stop and park the bike. I have had more problems with leaking petcocks then malfunctioning octi.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Many of my bikes have had manual petcocks, so I am used to turning them off.

I don't like that big wad of hoses and I have had trouble with vaccuum-actuated petcocks after rebuiling them.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The Standard has vacuum petcocks. Two of them. I never shut mine off. My 4 wheeler has a manual petcock, I never shut it off. Lawn mowers don't have a petcock. Keep your carburetor float needles working properly and you won't have any problems. MHO.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

High up on the list of things to do on any of my restorations is to pull the carbs for a good cleaning and immediately ditch the octy. I’m a believer in keeping it simple. Two fuel outputs to two fuel inputs. Yes, remembering to shut off the petcocks is a PIA but I figure that if my aging mind can’t handle that simple task, then maybe I shouldn’t be on the bike at all!
                  Bob's Bikes:
                  79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                  https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                  https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                  "
                  Project XS11"
                  "Rucksack Grunt"
                  "Small Unit Leadership"
                  "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                  For Sale Here.

Comment

It's not that hard to fix. It has a function. My XS650 has a vacuum petcock that works the same. In 38 years, I've had no issue with it.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

While not a huge sample size, I'm surprised at how many people kept the octopus. For me, it was a variable I could easily remove from a non-running bike. Extra vacuum lines and fuel lines? Keep it simple, stupid. Today, if I had a friend with an XS, I might consider recommending he keep it and make it work but I don't know what a rebuild kit costs. FWIW
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I kept mine, rebuilt the valve and used about 5 ft of tygon tubing along with brass t fittings. Works great.

Comment

The octopus is an abomination! I would ditch it.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                          03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Yesterday, I pulled my SG out from where it had been resting for two months. I reached down to turn on the fuel, and to my horror, the petcocks were both ON. First, I checked the oil and found the level was right where it was supposed to be. I moved to PRIME, then back to ON. It started right up just fine. My vacuum shutoff works and it's my intention to keep it that way. Not only is it a safety device, but it saved me from having to depend upon four float valves to protect my engine. I fail to see the problem with it. A rebuild is simple.
                            As an aside, I've owned my XS650 since new. The vacuum petcock works as well now as it did then and I've never opened it up.
                            Last edited by jetmechmarty; 10-24-2021, 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Working...
                            X