Tramlining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tramlining question

Having some tramlining / road crack tracking issues on my ‘79 xs1100F standard. Tends to grab badly on the freeway and then I get the sketchy wobbles.

Not sure if it is the tires, suspension or something else.
    Tires are new Shinko 230 tour masters (previous tires were 13 years old)
    Front Fork oil changed to 15W.
    Have tried different preloads on F&R suspension but nothing seems to help.

I also don’t have a fork brace yet.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Last edited by Twinzer; 09-15-2021, 12:53 PM.

You've got some crazy rain grooves on the freeways in Cali - not sure if there's a tire that wouldn't act a little squirrely under those conditions. You're right about the fork brace - bolted a Tarozzi on my 80G and it made a world of difference in the handling. I'd recommend a close look at the condition of your steering head bearings and if they're not worn enough to need replacement, lube and adjust. My steering was 'notchy' and even on the smoothest of roads it didn't want to go where I pointed it.
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Unable to tell for sure with your described symptoms being 3K miles away but any motorcycle front tire with a center line groove will feedback road surface issues to the bars, even heavy bikes. Front tires with a herringbone pattern eliminate/minimize this effect. This is why I buy Pirelli Night Dragons........

Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Pic. I know, I know, it's for the FXLR on the XS site but it was too convienient as I had both tread type tires sitting there.......

---Bax
        Attached Files
        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Thanks folks - is their a way to test the steering bearings without taking things apart?

The Shinkos do have that non straight line down the middle but the pulling and wobble is worse than any motorcycle I have ever ridden.

I may have to pull the trigger on the fork brace too.

Comment

Put the bike on the center stand, sit back on the seat to take most of the weight off the forks, and SLOWLY turn from full left to right. You are trying to feel any play or sticky spots as you turn. If it's smooth both directions, bearing are probably good.
            Next put a jack under the engine and lift the front wheel off the ground. Now try and pull/push the handlebars and see if you feel ANY play. If so, you need to adjust the pre-load on the steering stem bearing.
            If you are riding in a "rain groove" freeway, there isn't much more you can do! Cali has some REALLY BAD roads!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Follow DiverRay instruction. After that it's the tires. Some are worse than others. It's also a tire/bike combination thing. Bad grooves, you're likely going to feel no matter the tire.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

My 79F is one of my favorites and my standard "go to" when I ride. My current tires are Metzeler Sportec Klassiks. No center line and the outside groves overlap the center. I do not have a fork brace ( Not saying they dont help.) I have never noticed any unusual tracking unless I'm on a bridge or other grooved pavement. I would expect that though. Listen to DiverRay and jetmechmarty. In addition, I usually get someone to lift the front tire while I hold it on the stand to feel for play. YMMV

Comment

Thanks folks for your advice. I will check all of this tomorrow.

Comment

No notchiness in the steering turn and no play whatsoever so I think the steering bearings are good. I’m thinking I need to swap out the front tire.

Comment

Working...
                    X