HELP Turn signals & auto cancel infamous mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skids View Post
    Did you try cleaning the “momentary switch” on the handlebar?
    Hadn't crossed my mind. Is it a common issue? Any tips before I go into it?

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Replace the flasher near the fuse box. An automotive one for a car with incandescent lamps will work. The auto cancel function will be gone. My answer is based on the fact that all four hazard lights flash.
      I checked out the flasher. It's good. Ohms within range. I thought the same about the hazards.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        The hazard flasher gets it's power thru the ignition key switch, the turn signal flasher is powered by the 20A fuse in the fuse block. Have you checked the 20A fuse?
        Checked all the fuses and we got power thru all 4 fuse terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
          I have never owned a standard so my comment may or may not be relevant. I do know on the specials of which I own three ... my turn signals either don't work or are very slow if I have not cleaned my grounds. A low battery also causes problems.
          All inputs are welcomed. I got a brand new AGM battery from Odyssey. Is cleaning the grounds going to be a routine thing?

Comment

Originally posted by 80xs11socali View Post

Phil, jumped the brn & brn wht. I got nothing. I know I have power from the brown. Where do I go next?
            Under the fuel tank, I would unplug the left handlebar switch connector with the brn/wht wire. Then check for continuity on the brn/wht wire between that connector and the flasher connector by the fuse panel.

There are total of 2 connectors under the tank going to the left handlebar switch, one with 5 wires and one with 6, make sure these are clean and not corroded.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 09-23-2021, 01:07 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Check for corrosion at the bulb and socket, that and the switchgear see the most moisture. My bulb sockets needed some attention to start blinking without some RPMs adding some juice to the system.
              1979 XS1100 Special
              1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
              1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                Check for corrosion at the bulb and socket, that and the switchgear see the most moisture. My bulb sockets needed some attention to start blinking without some RPMs adding some juice to the system.
                Wouldn't that affect my hazard lights as well? I guess it won't hurt to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  So no power at all going to the signals correct? Maybe check the connector under the tank for the handlebar switch. They can corrode or maybe it's not hooked up. If you do take the switch itself apart, be careful and set it on something directly below the handlebar to repair, the wire solder joints can easily break under stress and they are a pain to solder back on.
                  Phil is the WINNER! Someone has been in the left controls previously and mucked it up. I found 2 wires that broke off from it's solder snaps. Flasher relay works well.

Thanks to all who gave their input and thoughts. I'm on the hunt for left controls assembly. Please spread the word.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You can get a "new" left control from mikesxs. Yamaha used the same controls, just different wire lengths and connectors for most of the street bikes. https://www.mikesxs.net/motorcycles/...-switches.html Something to try if you can't find one in better condition.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I saw those. I really want to use as much OEM as possible. I'm not sure the connectors are plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by 80xs11socali View Post
                          I saw those. I really want to use as much OEM as possible. I'm not sure the connectors are plug and play.
                          you can take the parts from yours and employ them into the new ones from Mikes XS and they work fine and look OEM. What I mean is you can transfer your wires to the new ones.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X