HELP Turn signals & auto cancel infamous mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Turn signals & auto cancel infamous mystery

I have a 1980 xs1100G. Everything is bone stock except for the exhaust. As of this moment, my hazard lights are working. My turn signals do NOT. bulbs are all incandescent. I really do not care for the auto cancel. I just want to ride my xs and be able to tell use my turn signals. Location is harbor city, CA.

Two flasher units on there right? One under the seat and a 3 prong by the solenoid.
    Check the 3 prong.
    it could be the switch needs cleaned also.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

2 prong good. 3 prong good ohms and clicks. Suspicious of the auto cancel failing.

Switch on the handlebar? I'll do that next.

Comment

Try the 2 prong flasher in the 3 prong plug, it can fit 2 different ways, see if it will flash.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Try the 2 prong flasher in the 3 prong plug, it can fit 2 different ways, see if it will flash.
          Did that. Nothing.

Comment

So no power at all going to the signals correct? Maybe check the connector under the tank for the handlebar switch. They can corrode or maybe it's not hooked up. If you do take the switch itself apart, be careful and set it on something directly below the handlebar to repair, the wire solder joints can easily break under stress and they are a pain to solder back on.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

So no power at all going to the signals correct? Maybe check the connector under the tank for the handlebar switch. They can corrode or maybe it's not hooked up. If you do take the switch itself apart, be careful and set it on something directly below the handlebar to repair, the wire solder joints can easily break under stress and they are a pain to solder back on.
              Not exactly. Front turn signals has 1157 bulbs. Dual action. Running lights do light up. No blinking

Rear turn signals has 1156 bulbs. Single action No running lights from the rear ambers. No blinking action.

Thoughts?

Comment

So all the signals do light up. Left goes on with the switch and also the right, just no flash, or nothing at all except the front running lights?
                Last edited by bikerphil; 09-15-2021, 09:22 PM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

So all the signals do light up. Left goes on with the switch and also the right, just no flash, or nothing at all except the front running lights?
                  Absolutely no blinking on all turn signals. Only front ambers running lights.

Hazard lights works perfectly.

Comment

I would first check for voltage at the brown wire at the 3 prong flasher plug. Turn the key on. Check your schematic diagram to understand the circuit.

Edit: If you do have power at the brown wire at the flasher plug, try jumping the brn and the brn/wht wires together. then turn the switch left and see if the left side bulbs light up. Try the right side.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-15-2021, 09:58 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Did you try cleaning the “momentary switch” on the handlebar?
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Replace the flasher near the fuse box. An automotive one for a car with incandescent lamps will work. The auto cancel function will be gone. My answer is based on the fact that all four hazard lights flash.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

The hazard flasher gets it's power thru the ignition key switch, the turn signal flasher is powered by the 20A fuse in the fuse block. Have you checked the 20A fuse?
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

I have never owned a standard so my comment may or may not be relevant. I do know on the specials of which I own three ... my turn signals either don't work or are very slow if I have not cleaned my grounds. A low battery also causes problems.
                            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                            Jim

Comment

I would first check for voltage at the brown wire at the 3 prong flasher plug. Turn the key on. Check your schematic diagram to understand the circuit.

Edit: If you do have power at the brown wire at the flasher plug, try jumping the brn and the brn/wht wires together. then turn the switch left and see if the left side bulbs light up. Try the right side.
                              Phil, jumped the brn & brn wht. I got nothing. I know I have power from the brown. Where do I go next?

Comment

Working...
                              X