1980 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 carbs

the last 80 special rebuild i did i thought the carbs were missing pilot tube rubber caps so i bought some and put them in only to find out by other members that the pilots draw from the bowl on this model and need to be uncaped. I am starting another rebuild and the PO has caps in the pilot tubes however it looks like this was the start of his own rebuild before losing interest so i am not sure if he put them in thinking as i did previous. Before i put all back together i am asking if all the 1980 specials had carbs set up this way? caps or no caps? Thanks
    Bigal

1980 is a split year, some use the plugs, some do not. Check to see if there is a passageway between the main and pilot jet tunnels. If it has a crossover passage, use the plugs. If no passage, no plugs are to be used. Make sure to check all 4 carbs, someone may have replaced one of them with a different type.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

BigalG Check out this thread. Or post a pic of your carbs in question and we can ID it right away.

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...ets#post866236

---Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Found a pic of the fuel passageway the 80 carbs may have...

Click image for larger version

Name:	passage.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	866431
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Xsteamly helpful my friends ! Thanks a ton!

Comment

Good luck with the rebuild BigalG.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

no plugs needed on mine, no fuel passage, glad i asked! thanks all again

Comment

no plugs needed on mine
                That's good, who knows what Ethanol in gas these days may do to those plugs.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Working...
                X