XS1100 Martini One Emulsion Tube not drilled - is this correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Martini One Emulsion Tube not drilled - is this correct

Hello and greetings from the UK. I purchased a non runner 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Martini that the previous owner had attempted to get running and his version of cleaning the carbs is not the same as mine, I don't think he even realised it had a pilot circuit underneath the screw cap and would only run on full choke. I have properly cleaned them now, all components steam cleaned in a proper cleaning vat, ultrasonic cleaned and lots of compressed air. I have had the bike running and it seams to be pretty good but I am not convinced 100% as I have restored multiple bikes/makes models so another strip down and an inspection of the carb components was decided. What I have noticed if you look at the attached picture is the left side emulsion tube at the top is not drilled through so the pilot circuit is linked when it is fitted, only this one out of all 4 is not drilled and my question is should it be drilled? If not which carb number should it be fitted into as he may have got the parts swapped around and that is causing my issue?

Anyway I cant find anything in my haynes manual so I thought I would turn to this forumn and see if anyone has had a similar issue or discovery.

Thanks in advance

Ask on the UK, Euro or Aussie forum, The USA never had the Martini

Comment

Are you positive that that's not the broken threads of the main jet in there ?
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

wilbo Need an end picture, jet side. I'm suspecting Schming is spot on with the blockage being broken main jet threads.
        ---Bax
        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by wilbo View Post
          Hello and greetings from the UK. I purchased a non runner 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Martini that the previous owner had attempted to get running and his version of cleaning the carbs is not the same as mine, I don't think he even realised it had a pilot circuit underneath the screw cap and would only run on full choke. I have properly cleaned them now, all components steam cleaned in a proper cleaning vat, ultrasonic cleaned and lots of compressed air. I have had the bike running and it seams to be pretty good but I am not convinced 100% as I have restored multiple bikes/makes models so another strip down and an inspection of the carb components was decided. What I have noticed if you look at the attached picture is the left side emulsion tube at the top is not drilled through so the pilot circuit is linked when it is fitted, only this one out of all 4 is not drilled and my question is should it be drilled? If not which carb number should it be fitted into as he may have got the parts swapped around and that is causing my issue?

Anyway I cant find anything in my haynes manual so I thought I would turn to this forumn and see if anyone has had a similar issue or discovery.

Thanks in advance
          Talk to Steptoe on the Aussie forum, he rebuilds them xs1100.com.au/forum
          as I said Martini's were a European bike only I think 150 Made

Comment

First off Gentlemen thanks for all the replies and sorry for joining the wrong forum, I thought this one covered all the bikes. After getting home from work I have had a better look in the daylight and taken some more snaps so you can see what I see. The one that appears blocked looks like a manufacturing defect to me as it does have the smallest of gaps at the top where it will be able to pass some fuel through to the pilot circuit via the connection bridge passage but probably not enough, you can just see a bit of light through the top right one first image. No threads are snapped off in the top of the tube as can be seen. Image 2 shows all the emulsion tubes and you can see that the first on left is the one with the defect. All the numbers on the tubes are the same, so I am confident to just drill it through and improve the flow into the pilot circuit, then re-balance carbs and set pilot screws with gunson colour tune kit.

Auxtian I did not know they did not import these into the states? They are just a standard XS1100 with a john mockett designed fairing in Martini Race colours, I don't have the fairing on mine as I think it looks pig ugly so I have it naked, the third picture is me on my bike and the last picture one with fairing! Once the bike is back together and running I shall update and close out this post in case it is of any use to anyone in the future.

Comment

It looks like it just needs to be cleaned. You can use a drill bit if you hold it in your hand but I wouldn't put a drill bit in an electric drill and go to work. Please don't.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I am thinking that those holes near the main jet end were only used by Micuni to produce the emulsion tubes. The fuel inlet is controlled by the main jet (and needle/diaphragm) and the air entrainment is controlled with the smaller holes along the side of the tube. Regarding carbies, I think there is nothing specific for Martini models because it is more of a fairing thing (not sure about jetting numbers though).
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

The holes in the tube near the main jet feeds the pilot circuit on the earlier models. It is feed through the main jet, then out the side to the pilot circuit.
                  79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X