Horn/Turn Signals Intermittent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
    I forgot to add one other thought. If you really want to clean your connections go to Radio Shack online... and invest in a can of Deoxit. Spray all your connectors down with it and it will remove every spec of oxidation. Been doing that on all my bikes and it works wonders.
    I agree, Deoxit D5 spray is a great product, although it has it's limitations.

I buy it on Amazon and use it for many jobs.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Isolated the issue. Wiring cluster coming out of the controls on the handle bar. Iā€™m going to work my way towards the fuse box. Thank you all for your suggestions. Definitely will begin the process of cleaning the connections and replace stock fuse box with the one suggested using blade fuses
      2017 CRF 250 Rally
      1979 XS 1100
      1985 Porsche 944
      1991 Alfa 164

Comment

Ok, replaced all bulbs
        Cleaned connectors to wiring harness in windjammer.
        Checked rear turn signal connections and noticed frayed broken wire coming from the Vetter top box.

... noticed that when bike is under load, the left turn does flash, but slowly. The right turn signal is working correctly.

I also noticed I have a 3 prong flasher/relay.

Currently have the battery on a tender to see if there is a voltage issue.

2017 CRF 250 Rally
        1979 XS 1100
        1985 Porsche 944
        1991 Alfa 164

Comment

Ok, more Frankenstein bike issues.
          Left rear turn signal, this is the one giving me problems, is set up for a 1156 bulb
          Right turn signal, works, is set up for an 1157 bulb.
          Flasher Is working. I can hear it click

I noticed on the left turn signal there is a piece of copper that is missing when compared to the right.,
          2017 CRF 250 Rally
          1979 XS 1100
          1985 Porsche 944
          1991 Alfa 164

Comment

Well, the rear signals should be 1156, one positive wire to the bulb and the housing is grounded by a wire inside the frame behind the mounting nut. New replacement units are available if you can't straighten those out. I can't really tell what that copper thing is.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-07-2021, 09:30 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

ā˜®

Comment

Some types of maintenance free batteries can give up the ghost while riding.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

I'm riding an '82 XJ1100. My emergency flashers no longer work, which is fine, I don't care. However, If I switch them "ON" (the switch is mounted on the right handle bar), when my turn signals stop working. Your problem could be related to this circuit.
                '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
                Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
                '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
                Stan Hutchison

Comment

If you put dielectric grease on an old plug with a weak connection you will only make it worse. On the other hand if you fully pack a new connector with dielectric grease leaving no voids for air or water, then it'll stay clean almost forever. A new connector is tight enough to scrape the grease off when plugged in and will maintain a good connection. Like a lot of things, if you use it wrong, it's a disaster but used right it's great...
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X