Mooresville XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mooresville XS1100

Well thanks for everyone’s encouragement on restoring my Dad’s bike. I’m going to put the work and dollars in. I’m retired so I do have the time.

That being said, my first order of business I think is to put Marvel Oil in the cylinders and get a key headed my way. Where online do I go to get a key? Also did the same key open the tank?

I also reached out to Oldskool carbs. I’m just gonna let them redo the carbs.

The brake calipers in front are hanging and not attached. Does anyone rebuild them? I’m sure they need refreshment.

Is a Haynes workshop guide available?

Lot of rust on kickstands. I have not taken a good look at everything.

Lord, here we go. I have a goal. The gathering in Western NC. I’d like to ride it there. I think that’s a lofty goal. We shall see.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and encouragement. I’ll post pictures as I go.
    John

ps. Dad left me another project too. He special ordered a 1968 Impala Station Wagon with a 396, 325 horse engine, a .372 positraction rearend with 3 on the tree. That’s still setting in his garage in Western Md. I really want to get that on the road as I learned to drive on that car in 1971. I went to my senior prom in that car. That car is my dream car to restore.

79 F

I love long roof cars, grew up in the carbon monoxide rear facing seat of them. Irish Catholic big family.

Google cycle keys online for the website it will walk you through.

https://youtu.be/tsJ3xWA4V7g Very helpful video

Last edited by 2WheelFun; 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Ok. I couldn’t find the kickstart lever. I bought one from a guy on FB. I did take a picture of the VIN. I’m not sure what it means. I know I need side covers. Here is the VIN:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	CE1DD3DA-B036-42B4-B19B-C0098F44D9C3.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	864726
      79 F

Comment

Originally posted by CLTBLUESMAN View Post
        SNIP.....
        Lord, here we go. I have a goal. The gathering in Western NC. I’d like to ride it there. I think that’s a lofty goal. We shall see.
        SNIP....
        CLTBluesMan,
        Get the inventory done and let us know what you need. If I have one, it's probably going to be free to you. I have a fair amount of spares, hopefully I haven't tossed in the recycle bin something you need. There is also a chance I will be headed to PA for training and will pass right through your area (I take I-77 North out of Charlotte to I-81). If the training occurs, I can drop the parts to you somewhere along I-77.

We'd love to see you at the rally. If your bike isn't done.... Maybe you can ride one of mine. I usually take 4-5 bikes.

Sincerely,
        KURT

Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by CLTBLUESMAN View Post
          Ok. I couldn’t find the kickstart lever. I bought one from a guy on FB. I did take a picture of the VIN. I’m not sure what it means. I know I need side covers. Here is the VIN:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CE1DD3DA-B036-42B4-B19B-C0098F44D9C3.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	864726
          2h7 signifies that you have a standard. You can download a manual. If you frequent Ebay you can usually find a hardcopy for sale. As for the key, just look on the ignition for the four digit code. I have never owned a standard, so I am not really sure about that code. It is on the specials. Anyway... go on Ebay and search Yamaha and that 4 digit code and it will bring up keys. There are several folks out there that supply blanks as well as those that sell the blanks and cut the keys according to the code you give them. I picked up a MNS back in October with no keys and a vendor on Ebay supplied and cut two keys for a bit under 20.00. I would suggest that you completely rebuild every aspect of the brakes. Rebuild kits for the masters and the calipers. Search for Brake Crafters. Go with the kits with new stainless pistons. A bit more but you will never have to worry about them again. Also replace all the old brake lines with stainless clad in vinyl. Good luck on the resto and we love pictures and everyone is willing to help.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, I want to rebuild the brakes right with stainless pistons and braided lines. Not taken any chances on brakes! Dad had Vetter bags and fairing and sidecar. I do not know where the bags are. I think for simplicity and expedience I am going to take that all off and focus on just getting the bike back to the basic. I did buy a kickstarter lever as I cannot find the one on the bike. The Fairing has a locked glove box. It could be in there, but I don’t have key for it. I just have to start taking it apart. I’ll take pictures as I go and put the pieces in labeled bags as I take them off. I think I will send the carbs out to Oldskool for a rebuild.

I wonder if I should take it all the way to the frame and repaint the frame. I thought about sending that out for sandblast and powder coating, but that may be excessive. Dad also had a Kerker 4 into 1 header that is pretty corroded. Lots of corrosion on the engine, handlebars, taillight chrome etc. Is that hard to bring back, or does it require replating, or newer parts. The shaft drive looks like it was leaking some also.

I will post more pictures in the next couple days. Thanks again.
            79 F

Comment

All properly maintained XS11's get a greasy accumulation where the swing arm attaches to the final drive.

Greasing the driveshaft rear splines is a required maintenance item. That is why there is a zerk fitting in that location. However, there is no gasket between the swingarm and the final drive, so oil from the grease leaks out and makes a gunky mess.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                All properly maintained XS11's get a greasy accumulation where the swing arm attaches to the final drive.

Greasing the driveshaft rear splines is a required maintenance item. That is why there is a zerk fitting in that location. However, there is no gasket between the swingarm and the final drive, so oil from the grease leaks out and makes a gunky mess.
                The grease zerk has nothing to do with the rear splines. It lubes the internal final drive shaft gears. Lube for the splines on rear wheel is beat done using Hondas Moly 60 grease. A light film applied to splines is all that's needed with no leaky grease externally.....ever.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Do special sidecovers fit the standards?
                  79 F

Comment

There is a lot of good info here regarding the differences in side covers that may help you: Interchange Guide: Seats, Grab Rails, Sidecovers, Taillights - XS11.club Forums
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

One step at a time, get the bikes mechanical systems ironed out. Get to running, stopping and steering. Get a key and 5 gal of evaporust. Go thru the fuel system, replace vacuum lines, plugs, fluids and filters including air and get it running. Then front end brakes, tires, fork seals, then back end brakes, tires lube the shaft.

Make your list for Kurt (so kind of an offer ) and post up what he can't help you out with.

Dress it up after you get a sound running bike. If you want to blow it apart and do a frame up then you know everything works.

Do you have good mechanic skills? Comfortable adjusting valves and such?
                      1979 XS1100 Special
                      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                        One step at a time, get the bikes mechanical systems ironed out. Get to running, stopping and steering. Get a key and 5 gal of evaporust. Go thru the fuel system, replace vacuum lines, plugs, fluids and filters including air and get it running. Then front end brakes, tires, fork seals, then back end brakes, tires lube the shaft.

Make your list for Kurt (so kind of an offer ) and post up what he can't help you out with.

Dress it up after you get a sound running bike. If you want to blow it apart and do a frame up then you know everything works.

Do you have good mechanic skills? Comfortable adjusting valves and such?
                        Excellent advice. First thing I’m going to do is get it somewhat cleaned up. Mud Daubers etc have it a mess. Meanwhile find the key code. Get that headed my way so I can see inside the gas tank. Put marvel in the bores.

Yes, that was the kindest offer that Kurt extended to me. I truly appreciate it.

One thing that does concern me is my left hand. Due to an accident my left hand is jacked up. I do have fair use of my thumb, forefinger and middle finger. I can’t make a closed fist with that hand. So I will have to be sure I can operate the clutch. Or somehow make it hydraulic assist. As long as it’s not too too stiff.
                        79 F

Comment

Little update here. I found a kickstarter, so I can check if it rotates soon. I also found a set of same color sidecovers in good shape. I got them headed my way. I downloaded the manual off of Mr. Ringler's site. All 319 pages. So now my next big deal is to get it into the garage to get started. My garage really needs a thorough re-arrangement and clearing out stuff we have been dragging around for 20 years. Like old time antenna rotors!. So I am engaged in that to make room for the bike. I need a name for the bike. Anyway. I really want to have it ready by the rally in September. Thanks again for the kind offers of help and advice. Lots of knowledge on this forum! I am amazed. John
                          79 F

Comment

Hey John,
                            How's the project? Do you have an update for us?
                            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X