Leaking Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Carbs

For the past year, I was trying to understand my leaking carb issue. Can't count all the rebuilds, GeorgeFix kits, etc. Part of my Spring startup was pulling the carbs for a Triple-clean. Back together, still leaking. Take back apart. Decided to do a bench test to check where it was leaking. #3. Focused on it, and it's the fuel "t". Fixed it with JB weld. I'll probs replace them with the brass one's. But, for now it's fixed. I'll tune it this week, and begin riding it.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Yep, if the bike isn't used regularly, the rubber on the fuel T's shrink and cause a leak. They may or may not swell back up and stop leaking after some use. Not to mention they are 40yrs old. Anyway, replacing them with the brass O-ring type is a good call.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Phil- it actually split!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You can cut all the "rubber" of the sides of the "T" and put "O" rings on it. I did that a few years back on one of my bikes, before the brass fittings were available. I used nitrile(sp) o-rings from HF, and they were still working when I sold the bike after two years of riding.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yep, the brass T's are readily available now on Ebay for about $11 each. I have used them for several carb bank rebuilds and they are of good quality.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
          X