No announcement yet.

Maintenance questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an AUX fuel container. As a tip, get a "T" and put two lines AFTER the shutoff valve and you can put the line together with a connector(lightly in place) to keep things out of the lines when not in use. I just hang mine from the handlebar, between the left control and the clutch. If it does not have a shut-off, just buy a brass ball valve and plumb it in.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Got front wheel bearing and rear wheel bearings coming... Figure I can regrease the swing arm bearings easily enough. New tires are an issue... No one makes raised white letter for BOTH front and rear.. So probably going to go with Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires (just put these on my Vmax and seem nice). This bike won't get more than 500 miles a year more than likely (most just vintage bike show stuff)... Will be busy when all my parts and pieces come in

Comment

Hi Lugnut, A couple of years ago I purchased Bridgestone Spitfire S11 RWL for both the front and rear. They were the only RWL set that I could find at the time. might be worth a quick search if you want RWL. Good luck.
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
          Hi Lugnut, A couple of years ago I purchased Bridgestone Spitfire S11 RWL for both the front and rear. They were the only RWL set that I could find at the time. might be worth a quick search if you want RWL. Good luck.
          Yep I ordered those exactly... Can get front rwl but the discontinued rear as rwl just plain black wall. I even called and double checked before I ordered. They said yes rear was rwl. They was wrong. I ordered both and now have to return them at a loss of $30+ for sh/rwstocking. I just ordered tourmaster 230's.

Comment

I like the tourmaster I run on my Kawasaki, that rear has some straight line traction in the first half of it's life. I tried the 777's on the XS11 and like those as well but only have a couple of hundred miles on them. For the price they are tough to beat.
            1979 XS1100 Special
            1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
            1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
            1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              1) You'll need a special tool to do this with the tank on and it would still seem too fiddly for me. So, tank off. Modify a lawnmower tank or the like to run while you sync.

2) I remove the fork tube and rinse with solvent because I choose to fill by height rather than volume. Otherwise, use the drain. You'll get more fluid out by pumping the fork leg up and down. Oil replacement should be done routinely, maybe every third engine oil change. ATF is old school. Today, we have purpose made fork oil.

3) The most likely culprit is the cam chain tensioner. You'll have to clean and investigate.

4) Plug wires are integrated into the coils. If the coils work fine you don't have to fix them.

5) The stock cam chain tensioner is prone to leakage. The stock cam chain tensioner is prone to slip out of adjustment. Decide based upon that.

DON'T FORGET TO REPACK YOUR SWINGARM BEARINGS! They've probably never been serviced.
              There is an error in the Clymers manual concerning torque on the swing arm. It is off by a factor of 10 if I remember correctly. Be aware.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Found a set of Dunlop D404’s for a good price so I’m going to give those a try on the XS. Had a pair on a ‘09 HD Dyna and they worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by cnap504 View Post
                  Found a set of Dunlop D404’s for a good price so I’m going to give those a try on the XS. Had a pair on a ‘09 HD Dyna and they worked well.
                  The 404 is a H rated ply tire. Meaning the specs on them are basically the same as the original Bridgestone tires that came on the bike. H rating basically means up to 130 MPH. I have them on my Harley but have never tried them on my MNS. I have always tried to find a RWL tire to match the OEM on the MNS. Getting harder to find now. Really don't know why Bridgestone has decided to quit making the S11 RWL tires. All I can find right now are BW. Of course I guess if I really wanted White Letters I could always get a few tubes of white tire paint and just color the letters in.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X