No announcement yet.

Picked up my first xs1100 today... Veeybexvited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wonderful machine has been passed on to you. As a original owner of a 79 XS I hope you understand the responsibilities associated with this. From what you said it sounds like it. I can only imagine how hard it was for him to pass it on to someone else after so many years.

Please make him proud of the care you give it. Sounds like that’s your goal.

Good luck. Jeff korn.
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Original owner is an 85 year old Marine Vet that says this bike it too heavy anymore. He took fantastic care of this bike.... I will do the same. I have 5 other Yamahas in the garage to keep this one company. I do all my own service work on all my bikes and several of my friends bikes.

I'm getting it back as close to stock as I can. I decided to leave the air shock gauge and "joined" tubes, the front fork brace, and the small kill switch (tiny toggle switch) he put on rear fender to cut the brake/running lights and turn signals (said he used to get followed and harassed in small town by cops lol) , the engine guard with Yamaha stilleto pegs... And I will get black braided/stainless brake hoses that look pretty much stock (but rebuilding calipers with stainless pistons, mast cylinder rebuild kits, new pads and fluid)... I enjoy working and cleaning about as much as riding.

Comment

I did my 30 year service several years ago. Brakes big part. Stainless lines completely fixed SOFT brakes. Rebuild all calipers. Was surprised how much rust on the pistons.

engine has not been cracked open. No need to.

I did replace bearings on the fork tree.

k@n filter in stock box.

needles up one notch.

main one size larger. I’d have to look at my notes.

bought a 4-1 kurker year 2
        Jeff Korn
        Original Owner 79XS1100 E
        Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by jkorn View Post
          I did my 30 year service several years ago. Brakes big part. Stainless lines completely fixed SOFT brakes. Rebuild all calipers. Was surprised how much rust on the pistons.

engine has not been cracked open. No need to.

I did replace bearings on the fork tree.

k@n filter in stock box.

needles up one notch.

main one size larger. I’d have to look at my notes.

bought a 4-1 kurker year 2
          30 years? Sounds like your life got in the way of the bike like many of us original owners. I did the same on my LG only it was only 22 years. The oem caliper pistons are not stainless and they always rust when they sit for years on end in water. Hopefully your maintenance schedule is more like 2 years now. I always recommend that folks upgrade the calipers with stainless pistons on their rebuilds to help avoid the rust.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X