Picked up my first xs1100 today... Veeybexvited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my first xs1100 today... Veeybexvited

After months of looking at this one and negotiating... Finally settled on a price and tool a 4+hr trip with truck and trailer to get it. Long day driving 8-9 hours but well worth it.

Picked it up today from the 85 year old original owner. 1979 Xs1100 Special with 11,755 miles. Pretty much perfect. Small cowl windshield, full size windshield, a genuine King and Queen seat along with factory original factory service manual, various paperwork and the original title in his name from 1979. Very happy with this bike.

He added the extra red brake lights and shorter/custom
    Front turn signals (thinks he has the OEM units in basement and I'll get in a couple weeks). He added a throttleock, different mirrors and Grips (I think) and even installed a cutoff toggles witch for rear lights and a pushbutton switch to kill headlight (makes starting easier), and a really nice exhaust (period correct) but otherwise stock unmolested never been damaged or repaired bike.
    Last edited by LugNut; 04-17-2021, 09:47 PM.

Nice score!

Comment

That's a dream bike!

Nice Jardine spaghetti headers- very desirable, but I've never seen them with turnout mufflers.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by LugNut View Post
        After months of looking at this one and negotiating... Finally settled on a price and tool a 4+hr trip with truck and trailer to get it. Long day driving 8-9 hours but well worth it.

Picked it up today from the 85 year old original owner. 1979 Xs1100 Special with 11,755 miles. Pretty much perfect. Small cowl windshield, full size windshield, a genuine King and Queen seat along with factory original factory service manual, various paperwork and the original title in his name from 1979. Very happy with this bike.

He added the extra red brake lights and shorter/custom
        Front turn signals (thinks he has the OEM units in basement and I'll get in a couple weeks). He added a throttleock, different mirrors and Grips (I think) and even installed a cutoff toggles witch for rear lights and a pushbutton switch to kill headlight (makes starting easier), and a really nice exhaust (period correct) but otherwise stock unmolested never been damaged or repaired bike.
        Scott, you posted that out on facebook earlier. Nice bike. We are always curious and if you don't mind divulging what you paid.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Scott, you posted that out on facebook earlier. Nice bike. We are always curious and if you don't mind divulging what you paid.
          $2250 I wanted to get it lower but they sure don't make them anymore and a completely intact never been wrecked/painted nearly bone stock from the original owner... Seemed reasonable.

Comment

Start making plans to join us at the Vintage Yamaha Rally in September!

Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Congrats, she’s a beauty.

Comment

Nice looking bike! Plan on replacing ALL the rubber bits, including brake hoses.
                Mike:
                Nice Jardine spaghetti headers- very desirable, but I've never seen them with turnout mufflers.
                You probably didn't know that Special Ed had a set on his '79 Special. They can be loud, but do sound nice on a well running bike.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Very interesting.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

$2250 I wanted to get it lower but they sure don't make them anymore and a completely intact never been wrecked/painted nearly bone stock from the original owner... Seemed reasonable.
                    For that bike you negotiated a great price. For sure .. if not already done replace the the brake lines with stainless and If it were me I would get rid of the manual cam chain tensioner with an automatic. If you decide to replace the brake lines ... which is highly recommended I would also go back through the entire brake system.
                    Glycol-ether (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity. It is a good habit to get in to completely change/refresh the brake fluid every 1 or 2 years depending on your environment. I believe the manual calls for every 2 years. Good idea to replace original caliper pistons with stainless too. They don't pit as quickly or as easily as the oem. I don't work for this outfit but I do highly recommend them. Brake Crafters and they have listing on Ebay.
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

Wanting to keep it as stock looming as possible.... So will try an get new rubber brake hosea if available....

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                        Start making plans to join us at the Vintage Yamaha Rally in September!

When and where?

Comment

Good idea to replace original caliper pistons with stainless too. They don't pit as quickly or as easily as the oem. I don't work for this outfit but I do highly recommend them. Brake Crafters and they have listing on Ebay.

OK I can't find new rubber brake hoses anywhere... Got a link to SS brake lines?

Comment

Stainless Steel Brake Lines - XS11.club Forums
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            Jim

Comment

When and where?
                              WHEN: September 23 - 27, 2021
                              WHERE: Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah North Carolina
                              between Robbinsville & Bryson City and near some great riding on Cherohala Skyway, the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway and Moonshiner 28.

You can find it on the Forum under RALLIES then SOUTHEAST

20th Annual Vintage Yamaha Rally Sept 23-27, 2021 - XS11.club Forums

Rally website is at www.vintageyamaharally.com

Can check with www.ironhorsenc.com for cabin or camping or RV spot or even a Conestoga Wagon or motel www.sanranmotel.com in Robbinsville

Hope you can make it

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                              X