Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an XS1100 Tech/Info compendium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

The foot brake lever is shorter too.
    Yeah I am going to cut-down one of the three I ended up with.
    80 SG
    81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Comment

I have been pouring over numerous images of Standards and Specials. I am fairly certain that I have a correct Special Triple Tree. I believe the pair of Stanchion Tube clamping bolts on the lower plate, stick out on the rear sides of the Special. The Standard, they point to the front.

My only issue is the top plate, which appear to be very similar. Both models have a single through bolt with nut that angles forward. I can not see enough details of the rest of the plate. I have an image of the one I am using, it can be seen on the table next to my stripped frame before powder coating them. See below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1760.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	864355
      80 SG

Comment

Can you measure between the back of the fork tube and the back of the center bolt hole? The special MAY be about 2mm different as the front forks are closer to 90 degree than the standard. Sorry, but that is all I can think of, as my only special unit is on my daily ride bike.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I assume the lower plate is the one to measure? Although, the top plate could be longer at the same time, or instead of...

Is there a value I should be looking for?
          80 SG

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TopClamp.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	864366 OK, I've just tried to measure both top plates. The standard from the bottom of the center bolt hole to the bottom of the fork tube is 1.75", and the special is 1.25". Not exact, but you can see the difference. Use a strait edge across the bottom/center bolt hole, and measure both fork tubes till you are close. Let me know if I need to make a diagram.
            Last edited by DiverRay; 04-20-2021, 02:27 PM.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You could put the lower and upper TT's on the fork stanchions and if the stem also goes in, you have the right pair.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 04-20-2021, 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling ng
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X