nameing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not all that creative. I call mine "my bike"
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Love the stories guys. As far as "Rented" goes I was driving along about a month ago. I think I was in Arkansas or something, and I was thinking about nothing really when the phrase: "beat it like a rented mule" popped in my head. A little mean, yes, but I thought about how these bikes, or any sport bike, gets used. So, I thought "rented mule".
      Maybe I've been on the road too long.
      When my girlfriend said I should really think about a new name I told her about rented mule. A little less than receptive, but hey...
      That's my story.
      "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
      79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
      80 xs11sg
      81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Sounds good.
        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
        07 V-star 1100
        Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Never named anything.
          Not even my two daughters. (Wife did it)

Geezer and a couple others responded to a comment I made on the racing thread.

Made we remember what an a!!hole I was when I was riding as a kid. Thought I was big s!!t. Hung with the wrong guys. Drinking/driving/riding was the least of the things we were doing.

An older biker who no one ever seemed to mess with kept me from a few of the more crazy things.

Geezer's "tone and maner" reminded me of him.

If Ok with Geezer I'd like to call my 80G "Geezer".

mro

Comment

I'm going through the same dilemna, currently the Special is a metallic gray and I was thinking BattleCruiser, because of the color and the fact that I am an old Navy man. Since I am going to be changing paint schemes this winter, I think that name may be out now. I'll just have to think on it and see what suits the old girl. Hmm, Old Girl...
            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Battle Cruiser

How about leaving it gray and calling it "Haze Gray and underway"? Or name it after the boat you were on. Well maybe not that, it would be silly of me to name my bike "Kitty Hawk".

Comment

I think "Battlecruiser" works no matter what the color. These are 'big' bikes
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Easy Name...

Naming mine was fairly easy. SWMBO said it in passing conversation. It was the first week after I picked it up. Every time I would pass it coming to or leaving the house, I would stare it down. I spent several evenings just sitting on it, smoking a cigarette, thinking about all I wanted to do with it. One night, when dinner was ready, SWMBO asked jokingly if she should bring my food out to the bike. She told me it was almost like I was cheating on her with a motorcycle. That got the brain hampsters running and "My Mistress" is what they produced.

Note to self: Hampsters don't swim too well in bourbon.

Anyway, I like the name "Rented Mule." Go with what you like best. I think you've got a winner.
                  ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
                  '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Only one of the ship names might work 'America'. Coral Sea? Nah! Barnstable County, No (**&^%$%#* Way! Puget Sound? (we had a nickname for that one Pugent Mound) either way, nah. Battle Cruiser does have a ring and I was thinking of a deep metallic blue.

By the way, Rented Mule works.
                    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

.. i have called mine b!tch an awful lot

Comment

I've called my 79 XS1100SF "Hy-Bridized" due to the fact that my 79 Special has many Standard parts as well as Midnight Special parts. So I Hy-Bridized it.

If "Rented Mule" is what you like best for your bikes name than christen your bike "Rented Mule" sound good to me.
                        Do'Lee
                        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
                          Only one of the ship names might work 'America'. Coral Sea? Nah! Barnstable County, No (**&^%$%#* Way! Puget Sound? (we had a nickname for that one Pugent Mound) either way, nah. Battle Cruiser does have a ring and I was thinking of a deep metallic blue.

By the way, Rented Mule works.
                          Well I was on the Yorktown (CVS-10) but...naaaaah.
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
                            Hey BlueJeepLab,

How about what you just said, "Deep Blue", it's in your XS11 handle, and it's what you were on when you were on your BGB's?
                            T.C. Ex-Dry Water Squid

BTW, Glarus, now that we know the story behind the name, "Rented Mule" sounds great!
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Finalized

This will be an unofficial introduction of "Rented Mule". Thanks for all the input. I'll add it to my profile next, and make it official when I get home. Just thinking of the best place to break the wine bottle...
                              Bluejeep...I like "battleship" too.
                              Great stories all.
                              "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
                              79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                              80 xs11sg
                              81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Midnight Ride, Because after twenty-five years of looking (budget and rasing two kids had something todo with the wait too) this Midnight Special is MINE.

Preachers Bike, Bought it from my previous pastor (it was a basket case, two years of e-bay parts and this sight have turned it into SHMBO's ride.

Training Wheels, My primary ride after I sold the XS750 and before the XS1100 LG. The bike my son and daughter learned to ride.
                                It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
                                81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
                                82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
                                82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Working...
                                X