nameing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nameing

I am trying too hard to come up with names for my bikes. I envy those who seem to just have a name for them. I am trying not to push the nameing process, but I would like something. At one time I thought about "Rented Mule", but got alot of thumbs down from my friends and SWMBO. I kinda like it. I do beat the bike more than I should, so....
    Man I hope nameing our first child isn't this difficult....
    My question to all is: How did you come upon your name?

Thom
    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
    80 xs11sg
    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

I call my 1980 Special the Mongrel because it has a lot of parts from a 1979 Standard on it. Including the front end, gauges, front and rear fenders, seat, tail light, and rear wheel. It will soon have a standard gas tank too when I get around to it.

I don't normally name my bikes and cars and until now I always thought the pratice was silly. Some machines earn their name and I think this bike did. I also named my Baja bug Frankenstein for similar reasons.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

It's your bike, you name it what you want. Everyone else can deal with it.
      My E is called "$60 Gem because I paid $60 for it. I also used to call it "The rusty dumpster" because of the condition it was in. It had sat outside, uncovered, for 20 years.
      My LG is the "Black Widow" because it's a Midnight Special (all black) and I killed 9 black widow spiders on initially cleaning it. #10 lived inside the steering tube for another 6 months. I left it there as a mascot. It has since moved-on to less adventurous surroundings

All hail "The Rented Mule!"
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I had a similer problem. Took me a year to find the nameJINGUS
        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
        07 V-star 1100
        Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

I GOTTA SAY..

i like "rented mule". its unique. and lets face it, one of the great things about these bikes was how they held up inspite of the abuse they took in early years.

i was planing on calling mine Raven, but that seems to be an actual line that they marketed at some point (not sure on that, but i hear it used a lot). i'm leaning towards waiting until the restoration is finished, and i get her out on some long rides, let her tell me what it is

Comment

I'm currently planning on calling my 79 fs "ratzilla" but that ma change. In the past I've named them after the license plate, last bike I owned was named GAX because of it. Whatever suites you and flows from your mouth works best. No use fighting to remember the name when you're talking. I personally thing rented mule is good. "I'm going to take Rented Mule for a ride" works well to me. ;-)

Clark

Comment

Well. Geez. Alot of thumbs up for Rented Mule. The PO had named it Voodoo Child and painted it on the side covers.
              I'm sorry, but I just can't do with that name. I hate to change it, but... I guess the name doesn't need to painted on it. Maybe the plates? hehe One of the draw backs was wondering how Rented Mule would look on the side covers. I guess XS11 would be fine. lol.
              Keep 'er coming though. How did you come up with your name?
              "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
              79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
              80 xs11sg
              81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

It was easy to name "The Rustbucket". Take a look.

Under that tool bag is a completely rusted triple tree cover.
                PO had left a tool bag on there so long it had melted into the clamp, couldn't tell where the leather left off and the rust began. I put another bag on it to cover the scar. All the chrome is pitted, frame welds rusty, saddlebags cover rusty shocks, aluminum is all salty and of course the headers are rusted. Runs perfectly!
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

"Queen of the Night", from Mozart's opera The Magic Flute.
                  The XS850 I built for my brother was "The Natalex". (his daughters Natalie and Alexandra) Made "The Natalex" tank emblems for him with some bizarre clay from a hobby store. Shape it as you wish, then cook in the oven for fifteen minutes. Turns to a hard plastic. Have many plans for that stuff
                  Bike names.... it only has to have meaning to you.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

That bike is a trailer-queen compaired to my 79 Standard restoration project. Only 17k miles but it looks like crap.

Geezer

Originally posted by xs650mike
                    It was easy to name "The Rustbucket". Take a look.
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey there Glarusguy,

Check out this thread: bike nicknames

Quite a few interesting stories on how bikes got their names!

Why did you use "Rented"? You own the bike!? Bikers refer to our rides as Iron Horses.....how about Iron Mule??

Some musings about Mules: Cross between horse and Donkey. Are Sterile/impotent! At least, it's not a JackAss!!

My explanation of my bike's name is in the above thread.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                        Hey there Glarusguy,

Check out this thread: bike nicknames

Quite a few interesting stories on how bikes got their names!

Why did you use "Rented"? You own the bike!? Bikers refer to our rides as Iron Horses.....how about Iron Mule??

Some musings about Mules: Cross between horse and Donkey. Are Sterile/impotent! At least, it's not a JackAss!!
                        Sterile? Yes. Impotent? No!
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

It was easy to think up names for my bikes. SWMBO did it for me...
                          Don
                          99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I like Rented Mule. Use it if you like it.

I call mine Mutt. As its a 79 Standard with a change in the rear to a 80 special. Changed the rear grab bar and tail light and rear fender and inner finder along with the seat and the front pegs. Oh and the rear shocks. That's why I call it Mutt. Its a mixed breed into its self I guess. Or???? Now I'm confused. Maybe that's in breeding. Oh well I do live in Kentucky. LMAO!

Chris
                            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Strange to say after all of the bikes I've owned in the last 47 years Rustbucket is the first one I've named. Been trying to think of a name for my XS650H which I got for free! Thought about "Alcan Annie" since the PO rode the Alcan Highway with it but it doesn't have the right ring to it. It's even more cosmetically challenged than Rustbucket but runs strong with a 750 kit.

Notice the custom seat!
                              Shiny side up,
                              650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X