The mystery continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mystery continues...

Hello all, I have an 81 venturer that is giving me fits, I started it one day, it ran fine,turned it off to put on my riding gear and it wouldn't start back up.After checking the obvious I discovered it had no spark to the plugs,I have replaced the pulser coils, tci unit,ign. coils, checked and rechecked the kill switch (and bypassed it)ignition switch, and the tipover switch, All items replaced are known to be good, still no spark.I discovered this relay/component under the seat, I cannot read all of the markings on it but can make out Omron 0980d9...it has 4 wires going in pale blue,black with yellow stripe and two red with white wires,knowing that the red with whites are part of the kill switch I am thinking this component might be bad?does anyone know how to check it or know of a replacement?...thanks in advance.Also this component is not any my 78,79.80 bikes

Time to check the wiring to the pickup coils. Guessing the last run rotated the vac advance for the last few strands of wire to part.......

---Bax
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, That was one of the first things I checked, I already replaced them with ones from a running bike, still no spark.

Comment

Did you shut it down with the kill switch? if so, that is probably your problem.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No I used the ignition switch to turn it off but thanks for the input.

Comment

If it's the same as this. It's the headlight relay
            Attached Files
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1885.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	863554 This relay
              Last edited by dpotter58; 03-01-2021, 06:04 PM.
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

That looks like the same component as mine, the color of my wires are a little different though, according to my wiring diagram the pale blue on mine goes to the pickup coils the red and whites go to kill switch and the black with white ties in with the black...Thank you for your input.

Comment

Some of the 81's had a clutch interlock switch so the bike can't be started unless in neutral or clutch lever is pulled in. Perhaps this is the relay for that system. Does your bike have a switch up at the clutch lever?
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

No one else has asked this question and I don't see anything about it in your post. Do you still have the original fuse block and fuses on the bike? If so then you need to carefully examine it and the fuses. They can look ok and still be bad. If you still have the old box and fuses then I strongly advise that you upgrade to a mini blade fuse box asap. There was an old thread on the old com site that someone fought the same problems you are on the exact same bike and the whole problem ended up being the fuse block.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

I have to ask.... your profile shows you as new ... however are you the same person that used to have the handle RDMCGUY. If so you were part of that old discussion in 2014. You were not the OP but you did make a suggestion on the thread. If you are the same person... you might want to ask an admin to fix your original handle so you can reassume it. Here is the original thread I am talking about. starter button won't work - XS11.com Forums
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

Eh............if you listen to Joe he'll have you hanging a bulls horns on your bike and making it poop.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Biker Phil, my bike does NOT have switch on handlebar or side stand switch, thanks for the idea though,...Cajun 31, Yes the fuseblock has been upgraded and it is not the issue, Yes I am rdmcguy, when I tried to get on new site it wouldn't let me although it did recognise the name, so i just added the y in my screen name so i could log on, Hey Greg,I am thinking about refining ElToro so it doesn't use more oil than gas!

Comment

Update....I rechecked all of the the elec connections and all looks good, I decided to recheck the tci unit all readings are correct with the exception of the black with white stripe, yamaha manual shows it should read 6 volts, three different tci units all show 12 volts, it shows that wire going to tipover switch that has been eliminated ,I am completley fed up , one step away from smashing this f##ing pos with a sledgehammer or creating a bonfire with it, so if anyone has any new ideas I am willing to listen...

Comment

Hey Big Joe,,,,,all these guys know their stufff but maybe geta hold of Brant, Motoman, since he has same bike and could offer his elec. advice, I am guessing pickup wires or battery, if its not turning over fast and with appropriate voltage,,,,,hang in there, its usually something small.............Mike in Sun Diego

Comment

Working...
                              X