Using a moto stearing damper over vw unit on sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a moto stearing damper over vw unit on sidecar

Hi out there in xs1100 world im getting perilously close to finishing my 78 hack rebuild and one of the last items to go on is a replacment steering damper as the old one is dead , had a vw damper on there but im wondering if using a moto unit with variable input would work or if there is just to much force created for a moto unit to cope ? I was planning to not use a damper at all but (Full disclosure I have never ridden a sidecsr )after doing some recerch im getting a bit nervous about how they handle and thought I had better put one back on if that was how it was set up originally.
    any info greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Primate; 02-05-2021, 01:10 AM.

Hello from Hamburg in Germany.
    You should use a damper.
    I have tried three different types on my xs1100 sidecar:
    first one from VW. To fit it I had to change the connections which didn't look good. Next I tried one from Mercedes. It fits perfectly without any alterations, but it is very hard. The last one is from Stabilus and it's perfect.
    I don't know whether you can buy it in US.
    You can buy one specially designed for sidecars
    from a company in Germany named MOBEC.
    Regards
    Rolf

​​​​​

Comment

That's how it looks
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a 78xs11 with a hitchhiker sidecar. This is from Hack'd magazine spring '96 XS11 standard and specials have the same rake and trail.
        The special has less offset in the triple trees.. trail is just over 5 inch. Putting special forks with the leading axle will reduce the trail to3.5 inch.
        Adding special top tree will reduce trail to 2.5 inch. This will make for easier steering. You can use the 16" rear wheel to help the gearing with the sidecar.
        You can do this using stock Yamaha parts.

What sidecars are you using on your rigs ?
        fly

Comment

Working...
        X