Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj1100 project

Good afternoon,

I purchased a 1983 XJ1100 a few years ago. It has been a great bike. This winter I decided to tear it down. I am working on the lower half of the crank case and noticed a hole. I’m not sure if it is supposed to be there. Does anyone know if this normal?
    thanks in advance

Attached Files

Here’s a better picture the hole is at the bottom.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mpl, Welcome! Not too familiar with the XJ case casting but I'm sure some on here are. Is that bore where an alignment pin sits? Pit goes thru to the webbing support?

---Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

The XJ11 cases are the same as the XS11, you can even see the 2H7 stamped into one, about the hole, IDK.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It's been running well before teardown, don't worry about it! I'll look at my '78 bottom case later this week and see if it has the same thing.(If I can get to it!)
          To me it looks like something Yamaha has done at the factory.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If this is what we are looking at, I have a case nearby I can look at...
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Looks like my 79 case is drilled all the way thru. The other side of the case that mates up to that hole goes to a dead end chamber so I would think it shouldn't cause any problem. If any oil is going thru there it would be the middle drive oil.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 01-27-2021, 10:22 PM. Reason: Add additional info.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Working...
              X