Most expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most expensive?

Not mine, I like to see the high asking prices for vintage rides. Was wondering what details make the price go up on a build when deviation from stock. Please no bash on asking price as all of us enthusiasts would like the value of our machines to rise.

Here goes:
    https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mc...218718328.html
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Someone spent a lot of time on that bike. It seems the seller just got it, and wants to "flip it" for quick cash.
    We all modify our bikes. Anyone who said they didn't isn't telling the truth. Adjust the handlebars, the levers, etc. IS modifying a "stock" bike. How much you modify it, and what it's "worth" after depends on what was done and how many people think it's "cool". The early 750 Honda is sold for a lot more money than our bikes. The reason is it has a much bigger group of people that remember them, and want one. Our bikes usually sell for $600.00 to about $3,500.00 for a great example, low mileage bike. A "modified" machine MUST appeal to a number of potential owners to command a good price. Most modifications suite a small audience, and therefor are harder to sell for a price that will cover the cost of the mods. This is true on a lot of cars, trucks, and bikes.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Often there’s a very large difference between an asking price and a selling price. It would be interesting to see what bikes like this actually sell for.

Comment

That bike has some appeal and looks as was said previously that someone spent a lot of time paying attention to small details. However, I find it unlikely the seller gets half that amount of $$$ for it.

That's "Basically" the same asking price as a brand new Yamaha BOLT with new everything, and a factory warranty....just sayin'
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Really nice lg on ebay right now. Starting bid 5k. Buy it now 8k.
          I'd be more inclined to buy it than a chopped machine no matter what the chopper thinks he did ti improve it.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
            Not mine, I like to see the high asking prices for vintage rides. Was wondering what details make the price go up on a build when deviation from stock. Please no bash on asking price as all of us enthusiasts would like the value of our machines to rise.

Here goes:
            https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mc...218718328.html
            To each their own. What I see is a Frankenbike missing a lot of parts some of which can never be replaced. Pretty blue paint job. No mention of how it runs. Car tire on the rear and uncomfortable saddle tells me not a riders bike.
            IMHO
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Uh..yeah...no thanks. Frankenstein may appeal to the younger gen-I prefer bone stock/unmodified. An ORIGINAL ITEM that HAS NOT seen a repaint or parts replaced with other than stock. ( And adjusting original parts does not merit the title 'modified', handle bar alignment mentioned. Now if YOU REPLACE A STOCK PART with aftermarket parts: THAT'S my definition of modified. Changing stock pipes/seats/repaints... ( I'll put it to the fellas to decide: would you RATHER have an old/young woman who looks beautiful because of all the money spent on plastic surgery or have one that has had ZERO surgery and has taken care of it's self ? ) When you modify vehicles to suit your taste it doesn't always resonate with the rest of us-I give you that blue monster I wouldn't pay 3 grand for as an example.
              Just my opinion.
              But hey, what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post
                Frankenstein may appeal to the younger gen
                That seems to be the case that this variety of bike is appealing to the younger GEN. However, I find it hard to believe there are many in that group capable of reaching into their pockets for that overpriced "Thing".

My son and I worked together on this XS11, which in a SOME ways is similar..... HE LOVES IT and hates most of my other bikes (except the FZR1000).

This restoration was GUIDED by ME and deviates from the normal "Bobber" (aka BOOBER) crowd's designs as follows:
                • All the wiring is basically unmolested.... One can troubleshoot with an OEM XS1100 wiring diagram and all the wires are the proper color, they've just been moved around under the seat a little,
                • The OEM air box is retained!
                • All the instruments and indicators are OEM Yamaha
                • The bike includes FENDERS and although they are modified (shortened front and Virago rear) they work very well.
                • Mufflers incorporated are relatively quiet.
                • You can actually ride it more than mile before your a$$ hurts thanks to a real seat (aka Harley Sportster Seat).
                • All the brakes are rebuilt with SS lines and they work great.
                • Aux Driving Lamps are provided for safe night driving.
                • I tried to retain the "Flavor" of an XS11 by retaining many key features (rear pull bar, etc.)

It doesn't 100% appeal to ME but I do like this one a lot.... The younger guys love this thing....
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Someone spent a lot of time on that bike. It seems the seller just got it, and wants to "flip it" for quick cash.
                  We all modify our bikes. Anyone who said they didn't isn't telling the truth. Adjust the handlebars, the levers, etc. IS modifying a "stock" bike. How much you modify it, and what it's "worth" after depends on what was done and how many people think it's "cool". The early 750 Honda is sold for a lot more money than our bikes. The reason is it has a much bigger group of people that remember them, and want one. Our bikes usually sell for $600.00 to about $3,500.00 for a great example, low mileage bike. A "modified" machine MUST appeal to a number of potential owners to command a good price. Most modifications suite a small audience, and therefor are harder to sell for a price that will cover the cost of the mods. This is true on a lot of cars, trucks, and bikes.
                  VERY WELL SAID--and ALL TRUE.

Comment

That’s a great looking bike Kurt. May not appeal to me 100% either but it’s still great looking and a quality build/modify.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1979 XS1100 F
                    1982 XJ 650
                    1983 XS 650

Comment

I enjoy riding my stock XS 11's, My 79' with a Mr. Turbo Kit could be modified to appeal to a younger group. But engineering a stable ride when you hit 150 would be a challenge. The bike as it is handles very well. I do like the looks of the blue bobber and some others I've seen nice artwork. But I prefer a well engineered bike.

Comment

I'm sorry, but what a useless POS! No front fender, no tach, invisible turn/tail light, and pathetic headlight, as noted CAR REAR TIRE, flat seat that you will slide off of the 1st time you crack the throttle, and you will only go about 60 miles with that little gas tank. Yep, way overpriced, by 3x! IMHO.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the purist in me just says "NO". I just can't see how chopping up an xs1100 can make it better. As shipped from the factory they were straight away beasts and not much good in the cornering department. As TC just stated no way these mods make anything better and the price is way over what it is worth.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

I can see making a chopper or bobber or whatever if the starting point is a roached out ride and you get to customize it out of necessity because original parts are unobtanium. I like custom fabrication and appreciate the time and skills required to pull off a good build and I also know the time and $ involved with restoration. There are very few that can successfully make a profit when building modified bikes. Less shouldn't cost more.

Kurt, that bike you put together with your son is really nice, clean and tasteful. I especially like the gas cap, solo seat and fender mods.
                            1979 XS1100 Special
                            1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                            1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                            1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I'm sure this bike appeals to it's owner, otherwise why take the time? But for me, everything about this bike leaves me asking "Why would you do that?" Boss 302? Er, what?
                              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Working...
                              X