No announcement yet.

Sluggish acceleration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, the 140 jets would be fine IF you had the earlier type carbs (BS34 type 2), but you have the later (BS34 type 3) which the main and pilot jet towers do not share fuel via a crossover passage. That is the reason for the smaller 110, 115, etc size main jets on your model.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have learned, both here and by experience, 110 across is the best medicine for SG & SH, especially if you maintain the stock needles. They work and play well together.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I have the stock jets in 4 turns out now. Shes kinda fine, feels hesitant a bit coming out of idle. I havent synched yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post
          I have the stock jets in 4 turns out now. Shes kinda fine, feels hesitant a bit coming out of idle. I havent synched yet.
          Pod filters offer a bit of a challenge. Uni pods are favored by most who run CV carburetors without the airbox. You'll get it dialed in.

Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I run the dual foam uni-pods on the ZRX1200 with the CVK40 carbs from a ZX11. Flow plenty of air, however the K&N style individual filters work well too in my experience on most any bike.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Turns out it was a faulty carb body. #4 running super rich. I swapped it out to a different one and now the problem is solved! The entire bike runs lean/hot now though, will do some more tuning and probably go up a size in mains.

Comment

Years ago, I had let the bike sit because overtime at work got in the way of riding. I charged the battery over the winter and the bike started well when the weather got nice. I rode it around my storage unit compound and thought it was good enough for the road. I was about 1/4 mile from my Moms house and the bike wanted to die on me. I was able to get it to the driveway and the bike idled fine. I rode it maybe 3 miles, and it started to bog on me and would not get up to safe riding speed. I was able to get to my Moms driveway again, and removed the carbs thinking maybe the gas was bad from it sitting all winter. I thought the carbs were cleaned when I reassembled them, but same issue. I finally took the carbs completely apart, and the little screens at the bottom of the carb were clogged with crud. I cleaned them off and eventually got new ones. The bike was back to normal. No more feeling like it was going to die. Clean and when you think its clean, clean again is my motto. These bikes don't like dirty carbs and if it ran well last time, I always think what could have possibly gone wrong and what is different this time.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                  Years ago, I had let the bike sit because overtime at work got in the way of riding. I charged the battery over the winter and the bike started well when the weather got nice. I rode it around my storage unit compound and thought it was good enough for the road. I was about 1/4 mile from my Moms house and the bike wanted to die on me. I was able to get it to the driveway and the bike idled fine. I rode it maybe 3 miles, and it started to bog on me and would not get up to safe riding speed. I was able to get to my Moms driveway again, and removed the carbs thinking maybe the gas was bad from it sitting all winter. I thought the carbs were cleaned when I reassembled them, but same issue. I finally took the carbs completely apart, and the little screens at the bottom of the carb were clogged with crud. I cleaned them off and eventually got new ones. The bike was back to normal. No more feeling like it was going to die. Clean and when you think its clean, clean again is my motto. These bikes don't like dirty carbs and if it ran well last time, I always think what could have possibly gone wrong and what is different this time.
                  oh I cleaned these so well in would drink water out of them. The PO had cracked the mixture screw housing, causing an overly rich mixture, and bad carbon buildup on the intake valve.

Comment

oh I cleaned these so well in would drink water out of them. The PO had cracked the mixture screw housing, causing an overly rich mixture, and bad carbon buildup on the intake valve.
                    mixture screw housing fracture WILL cause a lean mixture ONLY. In other words, that fracture pulls in air around fractured housing, leaning mixture of THAT carb. Replacing that carb is the ONLY cure!.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

mixture screw housing fracture WILL cause a lean mixture ONLY. In other words, that fracture pulls in air around fractured housing, leaning mixture of THAT carb. Replacing that carb is the ONLY cure!.
                      Strange because that plug was black af. After the swap they are all clean af.

Comment

Strange because that plug was black af. After the swap they are all clean af.
                        We can’t say for sure a cracked housing wouldn’t cause a rich mixture, because it did in this case. Depends how deep the crack went or what the crack went through, if all kinds of fuel was getting in there. You fixed the problem so it wasn’t lean!

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'm going to call this one solved. Running 45 pilots and 112.5 mains now. Running a little lean but otherwise running great .

Comment

Sounds like you almost have it nailed. Why not go up to 115’s? If you know it’s a bit lean... LOL I can probably answer that question, because you probably don’t have 115 mains.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              Sounds like you almost have it nailed. Why not go up to 115’s? If you know it’s a bit lean... LOL I can probably answer that question, because you probably don’t have 115 mains.
                              Lol, yes I'll probably continue to experiment with the jetting, but the acceleration problems have been solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X