Sluggish acceleration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish acceleration.

Hello, I took the project bike out for a little spin. As in one block and back. Acceleration is garbage. She bogs down hard. After I got back I synched the carbs performed and idle drop procedure, and re-launched the carbs. The idle was a lot better. However the riding experience was the same. Super boggy, slow acceleration. Granted I didn't go out of 2nd gear.

In 2nd gear you should be hanging on tight. Stock exhaust or aftermarket? Stock airbox or pods? Stock coils or aftermarket? Does the vacuum advance operate? How about the mechanical advance? Is it hitting on all four? Did you service the carburetors? Could they be dirty?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

First step, read the plugs. See if all or some cylinders are too rich or lean.

Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        In 2nd gear you should be hanging on tight. Stock exhaust or aftermarket? Stock airbox or pods? Stock coils or aftermarket? Does the vacuum advance operate? How about the mechanical advance? Is it hitting on all four? Did you service the carburetors? Could they be dirty?
        Pods. Carbs so clean I would use them as an operating tool. Running 140s and 45s. Started with 1 3/4 turns out before idle drop. 4-1. I dont know about the coils. New plugs, plugs will no give an accurate color due to me coating the pistons with oil before first start.

How do I check the vaccuum and mechanical advance?

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
          First step, read the plugs. See if all or some cylinders are too rich or lean.

Bax
          I would need new plugs, the ones I have have soot sue to me dumping a bit of oil on the pistons to hand crank the motor during valve adjustment and before I ever started her up.

Comment

The oil would be gone very quickly. If you have soot on the plugs it be running rich and respond to the throttle like you describe. Did you replace the needle when you did the carbs? K&L rebuild kits have notoriously included needles with too small diameter at off position. So as soon as the throttle plate opens the fuel wells from the main and bogs the engine down even with the CV slide still fully down.

Comment

Quick test of the vac advance unit. Take timing cover off and rotate the pickups by hand, they should move freely. Then apply advance and pinch the vac line or plug the port with your finger and the advance should slowly return. If this is the case then your probably okay and don't have to do the vac pump test........ since its running you could probably just watch it and see it respond.

---Bax

Comment

I totally agree with Marty, 2nd gear, throttle twist, HOLD ON!!! XS acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
                  The oil would be gone very quickly. If you have soot on the plugs it be running rich and respond to the throttle like you describe. Did you replace the needle when you did the carbs? K&L rebuild kits have notoriously included needles with too small diameter at off position. So as soon as the throttle plate opens the fuel wells from the main and bogs the engine down even with the CV slide still fully down.
                  I'm running the stock needles. I have new stock jets I can put in there. I did see some flash rust from tank cleaning did make it past the petcock filter . I got some inlines I'll slap in there as well.

Comment

The 45 pilot may be the most suspect. Stock 42.5 pilot was set with the pilot screw at 1-1/4 (really close to 14.5:1 mix) Carb setup thumb rule would be re-jet to the next larger size when pilot screw needs >4 turns. Unless you've done big bore with hot cam 42.5 pilot would be sufficient for lower end mixture with room to richen for power with remaining 2-3/4 turns on pilot screw.

-Bax

Comment

Just curious, what year and model are you working on?
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tarzan, Banshee's been wrenching on a SH.

Comment

Then you should be running 110 to 120 Main jets. Not the 140’s. That’s your bog unless someone put older carbs on it. It’s been a few years since I rebuilt a set, but I I think 110 across all four, or 110’s on the outer carbs and 115’s on the inner carbs was stock on some.
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                            Then you should be running 110 to 120 Main jets. Not the 140’s. That’s your bog unless someone put older carbs on it. It’s been a few years since I rebuilt a set, but I I think 110 across all four, or 110’s on the outer carbs and 115’s on the inner carbs was stock on some.

Probably not to the main jet yet as Banshee indicated he's only gone a block or two in 2nd. I wouldn't expect the slide to raise quickly if bogging off idle.

here is the jetting chart

Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3858.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	859659

Comment

Working...
                              X