What is a normal egine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post

Checked the valves. All to tight. Intake on 1 and 4 was 0.002. Everything else off by 0.001-0.002 in
    Are you sure about your numbers? .002in is 2 thousandths of an inch.
    Resigned

Comment

Originally posted by Loch View Post

Yes. Or around 0.05mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Loch View Post

Yes, .008-.010” is exhaust clearance, .004-.006” is intake for 80+ models, .004-.008” for 78-79 models. Only reason they tightened up the intake specification is to help with valve train noise. You can still run these earlier clearances on the intake side and it may keep you from adjusting valves as often if you set them at the high of the spec.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

How did the valve adjustment go?
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            How did the valve adjustment go?
            Good. I bought the tappet tool holder from motion pro. It is garbage. I used a 12GA peice of stripped solid house wire instead to hold the valve in place. So much easier. I took note of the clearances and shim numbers. I'll be needing 260s 265s 280s and a 285. They should be here this weekend. Hopefully enough parts come in this weekend to ride it.

Comment

Check the valve shims!!!! If they are from China, BEWARE! I had a "cheap" shim break on me! You can ask here, as some of us will ship shims we have to help others get the bike going.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good ingenuity!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Check the valve shims!!!! If they are from China, BEWARE! I had a "cheap" shim break on me! You can ask here, as some of us will ship shims we have to help others get the bike going.
                  I just got the ones from mikesxs

Comment

Are they silver or more grey? If they are a grey color, that is what gave me trouble. I did get them from an ebay dealer, though.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Did it last night, turned on today. She runs great! Sounds quieter, no tic tac noise.

Comment

Nothing like the sound of quiet valves!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hey there, I haven't read all of your posts, so I don't know if you've already answered this, how many miles are on the engine? Next question, I know you have done the cam chain tensioner adjustment. Have you looked at any of the tech tips? Specifically about the CCT and the suggestion of doing the conversion to an Automatic CCT device like what is on the V-Max, OR making a manual type tensioner? The Stock CCT is fraught with weakness and tendency to FAIL causing cam chain to skip teeth, bending valves, etc.! Aside from the tech tip, there was also a thread or two about this as well, a search for "automatic cam chain" should reveal it. Just an FYI!
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                          X