What is a normal egine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a normal egine noise?

So i got my project fired up after two decades of sitting. It occured to me I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like. I know it is running smooth, firing on all 4, slight popping from a lean mixture.

However there is a rhythmic tapping coming from the top end. Not the whirring noise of the valves, but more of a tic tic TAC TAC tic tic TAC TAC. It got a bit quieter as it warmed up.

I have adjusted the cam chain tensioner before firing it up. Loosey loosey, tighty tighty.

Any ideas on the noise?
    Starts
    09-19-2020
    Ends
    09-19-2020

Make a recording and embed it here.

I swapped in an engine on my XS650. It rattles. I posted the video below to XS650.com that I made with my iPhone. I had answers in minutes. We couldn't do that at XS11 dot com, but we can do it here!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Make a recording and embed it here.

I swapped in an engine on my XS650. It rattles. I posted the video below to XS650.com that I made with my iPhone. I had answers in minutes. We couldn't do that at XS11 dot com, but we can do it here!
      Something similar to that sound, I'll post a clip here soon

Comment

Not sure what other things you’ve done to the bike, valve clearance on the loose side for a valve or two, and it tightens up a bit as things warm up?
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
          Not sure what other things you’ve done to the bike, valve clearance on the loose side for a valve or two, and it tightens up a bit as things warm up?
          Haven't checked the valves yet. Just adjusted the cam chain tensioner.

The sound is very similar to jetmechmarty's video.

Comment

That's definitely a noticeable noise! With that said, I don't know what an XS650 sounds like when it needs the valves adjusted.

Jetmech, what was the answer to the cause of your noise?
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Valve adjustment should quiet it .
              Resigned

Comment

That's definitely a noticeable noise! With that said, I don't know what an XS650 sounds like when it needs the valves adjusted.

Jetmech, what was the answer to the cause of your noise?
                That being an XS650, what's wrong with it has nothing to do with the XS11. The engine design is very different. I only posted it as an example of how to share the noise.

The XS650 has shed the rubber from the forward cam chain guide foot. It's a very common issue on that bike. The tensioner, having run out of travel, confirms it.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                    Adding confusion with an XS650 engine probably wasn't the best idea, but the embedded video is a tool new to this forum.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Hey it was a video and it was of a motorcycle, haven't seen that around here in a long time! 😂
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Loch View Post
                        Valve adjustment should quiet it .
                        Checked the valves. All to tight. Intake on 1 and 4 was 0.002. Everything else off by 0.001-0.002 in

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post

Checked the valves. All to tight. Intake on 1 and 4 was 0.002. Everything else off by 0.001-0.002 in
                          This is the best place to start. An out of adjustment or worn out cam chain also makes noise.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Banshee, Keep the valves a little on the loose side. They tighten up as you put on miles, so if you can adjust them to the upper side of the spec, you'll have more time between adjustments. For some, that isn't a problem, but others like me tend to put miles on the bike, so it does keep the bike on the road a bit more.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              Banshee, Keep the valves a little on the loose side. They tighten up as you put on miles, so if you can adjust them to the upper side of the spec, you'll have more time between adjustments. For some, that isn't a problem, but others like me tend to put miles on the bike, so it does keep the bike on the road a bit more.
                              will do. I have got the tappet tool ordered to remove the shims

Comment

Working...
                              X