Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Eleven Special Rear Wheel size.

Hello,

I just bought a 1981 Eleven special, I'm in the process of getting her running. I took off the rear wheel and it's a 17"? I thought the specials had 16" rims? anyways, it does have the supporting plate for the rear caliper and another spacer between the caliper itself and the bearing. Does this mean the PO did a 17" wheel mod and all I have to do is swap it back to 16"?

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post
    Hello,

I just bought a 1981 Eleven special, I'm in the process of getting her running. I took off the rear wheel and it's a 17"? I thought the specials had 16" rims? anyways, it does have the supporting plate for the rear caliper and another spacer between the caliper itself and the bearing. Does this mean the PO did a 17" wheel mod and all I have to do is swap it back to 16"?
    Yes, you'll need the 16" wheel and the stock spacers. No Special came with a 17" wheel.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The 17" wheel was most likely put on to lower the cruising RPM of the engine. When you go back to 16", be aware the engine RPM will be a bit higher and the bike will have more off the line power.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        The 17" wheel was most likely put on to lower the cruising RPM of the engine. When you go back to 16", be aware the engine RPM will be a bit higher and the bike will have more off the line power.
        Havent even rode it yet so I wont notice lol

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Yes, you'll need the 16" wheel and the stock spacers. No Special came with a 17" wheel.
          So after lots of failed research, Dennis Kirk's website states that the 1981 XS1100SH has a 17" rear?

also how many parts/what parts do I need to put a 16" on?

Comment

Why not just buy a new 17" tire and run what ya brung? They are the same style spokes, looks like it is original to the bike if it is off a std and probably provides a couple more tire options.
            1979 XS1100 Special
            1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
            1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
            1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
              Why not just buy a new 17" tire and run what ya brung? They are the same style spokes, looks like it is original to the bike if it is off a std and probably provides a couple more tire options.
              I want the 777 Whitewalls

Comment

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...0sh/rear-wheel

#33 is the spacer that is different between the 2 wheels. Who knows maybe the PO didn't change the spacer to the 17" wheel type. If you could post a picture of the right side of the axle, someone will tell you which one you have.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...0sh/rear-wheel

#33 is the spacer that is different between the 2 wheels. Who knows maybe the PO didn't change the spacer to the 17" wheel type. If you could post a picture of the right side of the axle, someone will tell you which one you have.
                  Thank you I'll post a picture this afternoon

Comment

Here is everything that was on the axle before it was removed. 1 spacer/cover net to the wheel bearing, one caliper bracket, and a spacer that would be inserted into the caliper itself. Is this a 17" or 16" wheel set up?

Comment

Here is everything that was on the axle before it was removed. 1 spacer/cover net to the wheel bearing, one caliper bracket, and a spacer that would be inserted into the caliper itself. Is this a 17" or 16" wheel set up?
                      I believe an adjustment (spacer change) was made to accommodate the 17" wheel. You'll need the correct spacer.

So after lots of failed research, Dennis Kirk's website states that the 1981 XS1100SH has a 17" rear?
                      Well, Dennis Kirk is wrong. SF, SG, and SH only came with a 16" wheel.

The OE tire size for the standard XS1100 is no longer produced. 130/90-17 is wider that the OE tire. The 16" wheel is wider than the 17" wheel to accommodate the 130/90-16 tire.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Yep, the spacers in your pics are for the 17" wheel, the 16" wheel only uses one spacer, similar to the one in your first pic but wider (#33 in the fiche). The bracket shown in the 2nd pic is correct for the Special 16" wheel, no need to replace that.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I believe an adjustment (spacer change) was made to accommodate the 17" wheel. You'll need the correct spacer.

Well, Dennis Kirk is wrong. SF, SG, and SH only came with a 16" wheel.

The OE tire size for the standard XS1100 is no longer produced. 130/90-17 is wider that the OE tire. The 16" wheel is wider than the 17" wheel to accommodate the 130/90-16 tire.
                          Thank you, yes they are wrong. The PO has a parts bik they are letting me grab the 16" wheel from. It's not the same year however, it has a spiral patterns opposed to straight spokes. Does that matter?

Comment

... it has a spiral patterns opposed to straight spokes. Does that matter?
                            No problem functionally. Must be from an XJ.

If it were me, I would want the front and rear wheels to look the same.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yep, the spacers in your pics are for the 17" wheel, the 16" wheel only uses one spacer, similar to the one in your first pic but wider (#33 in the fiche). The bracket shown in the 2nd pic is correct for the Special 16" wheel, no need to replace that.
                              So no spacer between the caliper and bracket? Just between the caliper and bearing?

Comment

Working...
                              X