No announcement yet.

Awake after a few years sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the "Covid" paint job is done!! As long as you keep your "social distance", the paint looks great. I'm working on the lid for the box now. It's the same color as the knee pads on the large tank, a GM light driftwood metallic.
    Pictures of the two tanks. I'll probably run the larger tank on the rally so I can go over 100 miles without fuel worry.
    Attached Files
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      OK, the "Covid" paint job is done!! As long as you keep your "social distance", the paint looks great. I'm working on the lid for the box now. It's the same color as the knee pads on the large tank, a GM light driftwood metallic.
      Pictures of the two tanks. I'll probably run the larger tank on the rally so I can go over 100 miles without fuel worry.
      OK... so enquiring minds want to know. What did you use to paint? Paint type? Equipment etc...
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Painted with rattle cans! I used Dupli-Color primers, the GM Driftwood, and the clear on the side covers. There is a local paint shop that will mix up any paint one can at a time, $25, that is the black with gold flecks in it. I used two cans of the 2K gloss clear for the tanks and the box lid, the "high impact" parts. This is a two part paint in a rattle can. That was $25 per can.
        Working on the seat now. Just took it to a shop, about six weeks to get it done. I ordered foam yesterday and will get the pan back for a few days to shape the seat how I want it. My problem is the bike is a 1979, and the seat was from a 1980. It does work, but takes a bit of cutting qnd welding to get it looking and fitting well.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Things are on hold for more than just the seat. This morning...
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Things are on hold for more than just the seat. This morning...
            Ray.... where you live I am presuming that the picture is somewhat normal. Here in Mississippi on the other hand. We look just like your picture and everything has completely shut down. Of course we will hopefully be out of the deep freeze by this weekend.
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            Jim

Comment

So looking close at the carbs, as the bike didn't run like it should last time out. I have the stock mains, and the pilot jets say 45, with no Mikuni stamp! I'm now going through them all the way to see if any other wrong parts are in there. Oh, and the pilots SHOULD be 42.5!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

I picked up the seat from the shop today. Keep in mind this was a 1980 Special seat on a 1979 Special. Did some work on it, including all new foam. Keep in mind I also modified the seat to work with a standard tank, so there is a gap with this tank. I still have a little more tune work to do, as it's not running correctly as of yet.
                Last edited by DiverRay; 04-06-2021, 04:04 PM.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Looking good.

You've really accomplished a lot so far.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Ray.... bike looks great. Road trip ready.
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

Got the running problem sorted! New fuel lines were about 1" too long, and crimped with the tank installed. I did switch out the spark plug caps for non-resistor types as I am running resistor plugs. I did a quick 12 mile ride to get the gas I use, ethanol free. Ran well at speeds to about 65mph, so I'll go for a real ride Friday and see how it does on the freeway here, at the 80mph limits.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

I plumbed in some 90's to avoid that kink. Setting up new hoses was a real treat
                        1979 XS1100 Special
                        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Well, the hoses were just part of the problem. After a ride two days ago, I went back into the garage to a BAD smell of gasoline! Puddle under the bike, so I pulled the tank and started to try and find the problem. After about an hour of trouble-shooting, I knew the carbs did NOT leak, but I did end up with about two quarts of gasoline on the lift. Checked the tank today, and looked at the 4 bolts on the float. They were all 4 loose by about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Filled the tank back to the top, and so far, no leak.
                          The bike DID run really well before the leak, as I was able to shift through the gears at about 8K RPMs and not have any stutter or loss of power. Took it up to about 100MPH, just because. I hope to run it at Firebird Raceway early May to see what it will do in the 1/4 mile.
                          Last edited by DiverRay; 04-25-2021, 09:42 PM.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Gee, Ray, you're taking a page out of my book: if it ain't running right, paint the tank. At least it will look good in the garage.
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

A tad off topic, I see that you have a teather hanging. Running an airbag? What type? I've been strongly considering buying a couple of vests or a vest and jacket for me and my wife. Maybe it's best for a new thread.
                              1979 XS1100 Special
                              1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                              1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

After being rear ended at 55mph on my R1200RT about six years ago, my wife would only let me get another bike if I got extra protection. Spent the money on a Helite Turtle vest. Has the extra back protection, and uses a CO2 cartridge so it's easy and affordable to fix if it goes off. Not cheap at $650, but worth the peace of mind.
                                On thread, I'm waiting for new petcocks for the special tank, and will be coating the venture tank this week. Should have it ready to go and test ride by next Monday.
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                                X