Awake after a few years sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awake after a few years sleeping

Well, I can finally read and post on XS11 once again! Took eight months for Sparklight to flush their server DNS....
    OK, to start the story MRO called me last summer and said he wanted a new home for his SF. It had not been running for about four years, but he put it to sleep properly. I picked up the bike, and two weeks later it was in a POD, ready for a move to Idaho.
    I spent this past winter going through the bike, checking valve lash, carb float levels, brake masters and calipers, and new tires and battery.
    I was able to have a local company build new brake lines, and did need to replace the front MC as it was badly pitted inside.
    The bike had a seat from a SG, so it needed to be modified to work, as it was all I had. It still needs a new cover, but it works and I can remove the side covers.
    New Michelin tires, LED lights all around, and it's running. I have a Vetter fairing, trunk, and bags as well, so it's "sort" of a touring bike. I'm still working on the carbs, but it is getting closer to road trip worthy.
    I'll post some pics in a bit, once I've figured out the new system we have.
    Last edited by DiverRay; 09-02-2020, 01:48 PM.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Looking forward to seeing your project!

Comment

Here are a few pics of the bike. Notice the emblem on the gas cap!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG

Comment

Congratulations on your progress. I know full well the work involved in nudging one awake. At least yours was prepped for it's slumber.
        1979 XS1100 Special
        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Meriam Cycles! Nod to Bob.

Cosmetics look promising.
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yes, the bike has the chrome plating on the valve cover and side cover, as well as the black paint on the engine. This bike was MUCH easier than a few I've worked on, but it still has it's little things that need work. I hope to run it at Firebird this month, to see how it does now in the 1/4 mile with a fat 250lb geezer behind the handlebars.Once I find some newer pics, I'll post them. and no, I didn't list all the things that needed a bit of work, like the welding on the bag mounts, etc.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Been a while, but I'm back at work on this. I was NOT able to get it running well last fall. I think I know what part of the problem is, but more on that later. The bike is getting a "refresh" on the paint, as one side cover was red, the correct one was black. I found a local shop that mixed the paint I wanted, and put it into spray cans! $25 each, but a lot easier than cleaning guns for a small job. I'm going to paint my large tank at the same time, so for long travel I'll go to a 6 gallon tank. The stock tank had some rust on the underside, so I've used an encapsulation paint to take care of it.
              The seat needed a support for the '79, as well as a cowling for the rear. Picks of that as well. I hope to have it off to get re-covered next month, as I'm out of funds for this month. The down side of retirement and a fixed income...
              Last edited by DiverRay; 01-20-2021, 05:52 PM.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

The bike as it sits in the garage.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike1r.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	862856
                I hope to paint the removable panels on the box the same color as the tank. The top may stay white, only to keep the temp down inside the box for long rides. I had something melt in there last summer!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

That'll look real slick pulling up to the campground in Kremmling this July!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Good find Ray,,another Merriam classic xs1100 that is saved!!!! If it runs as fast as Special Ed's ol' xs1100, not even Bonz and his crazy fast Kawi will keep up. See ya in Colorado if you can make it, Mike in Sun Diego

Comment

Special Eds machine was F-A-S-T, this one is fast. I don't know how much was done to the engine internals and it hasn't been running well to really test it. I do hope to make CO this summer, but part of it depends on SWMBO. She had to put off a knee replacement, and If she gets it done late spring I may not be able to make it. If needed, it may be trailer the bike so she can ride in the car, if she is up to it.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Done with the power sanding today! Two tanks, one I had started about 12 years ago, had the paint "go off" because I rushed it, and put the tank away. The second is the tank that was on the bike, and it had been re-painted and a dent repaired at some time.

Name:	Tank7r.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	862874 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank5r.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	862875
                        After the sanding and a cleaner they look almost ready for primer.

Name:	Tank8r.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	862876 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank10r.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	862877
                        You can see the layers of paint on the Special tank.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by Socer4m View Post
                          Good find Ray,,another Merriam classic xs1100 that is saved!!!! If it runs as fast as Special Ed's ol' xs1100, not even Bonz and his crazy fast Kawi will keep up. See ya in Colorado if you can make it, Mike in Sun Diego
                          Lol, my ZRX1200 got pulled by Bob and his C14 (Concours 1400). I didn’t have a chance in a third gear 55 mph roll-on. Bob’s friend on a BMW K1600 ran away from Bob and his C14, which would have destroyed the ZRX if I had been so silly. Serious torque in the mid range. I am at a 200 - 400cc deficit but it doesn’t matter. I’d do well in a straight up race from a standing start but with respect to mid range, the 100+ft/lbs of the C14 (with the ECU flash Bob had) and 115 ft/lbs of the K1600 takes care of the 87-ish ft/lbs the ZRX dishes out. The heavier weight of those bikes makes no difference to them, they just fly. My consolation was pulling away from an FJR1300 in the group in above said roll-on shenanigans.

Now, if the ZRX can find a way to grow an over bore sometime this year, it might make a better showing...
                          Last edited by Bonz; 01-21-2021, 06:15 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Don't worry Bonz, The '78 is about two years out. Once that one is running, your ZRX will be in back once again!
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

I look forward to it! That means you’ll be at that rally.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X