Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you pay for EFI on your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you pay for EFI on your bike?

I am developing EFI for a KZ 1000 based on megasquirt- it SHOULD be finished by spring. It is based on the megasquirt system.

Initially, I am converting stock carbs into a throttle body, and making small injector plug in between the rubber manifolds and the carb- I think I can make it as narrow as 1-2inches.

I am trying to keep this system as cheap as possible.

I know how much of a bitch it is to syncro carbs, jet etc- what makes an old bike mechanic worth is wieght in gold.

I have made plenums for race cars before, and I am going to try my hand at doing it for bikes, based on popular models. XS 1100s, XS 650s will be on my list so far.

I plan on making a plenum with injector bungs that accept a single small car throttle body.

Flat sider replacement carbs that take care of alot of your issues cost a bundlem, and are not usually plug and play.

I plan on doing just parts for it and whole plug and play stuff, very low run, on a order by order business. Since I have an XS 1100 already, it will be one of my early models, along with the KZ.

Keep in mind, the megasquirt box straight from thier site runs under 100 bucks, but the wideband O2 sensors can run the price up! If you have a four into one, you only need one.

So what do you guys think?

EFI system..

i see your post i posted something similar to this this week..
    If you would like we can work on this together. im currently designing the intake and have the facilty to make it.
    We use autocad and mastercam to design and manufacture aluminum molds and products.. I will have 2 proto type intake manifold systems completed with in a couple weeks to a month..
    So if you can figure out the fuel injection part of it we would be in business..

Comment

Okay- man, sounds like a plan! Glad I posted it- I will be ready for this before christmas!

So, if you design the plenum- what do you use as a throttle body?

I know what sensors, fuel pump, and brain box to use and how to source them- the fuel pump is stock Hayabusa, brain box is megasquirt, and sensors are off the shelf auto wideband O2- possibly the most expensive part of the equation- depending on your throttle body. Really cool if you find a super well used and easy to find/cheap small car throttle body with cheap replacement TPS and such on it. That would be great.

The other idea is a holley 2 barrel flange, and you could buy aftermarket- but you just don't need that much airflow even on a ltre supercharged bike!

Any ideas on throttle body then?

Comment

throttle body

since i deal with german cars its pretty easy to find an off the shelf throttle body unit. like for VW , BMW and porsches all have two options.. a single port throttle unit or a dual progressive throttle unit..
        if the units are to big for the intake then i will make the units Like i have in the past..

i will post a picture of the 3d surface of the proposed intake units when i get that far..
        so far i just have a basic shape nothing fancy yet..

Comment

seems like there is another thread that has been floating aroung for some time about the megasuirt kit. IIRC they are using the throttle bodies off of a yam R6
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

not r6, gsxr
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

i stand corrected, good call!
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

I'm watching this thread with great interest............
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I am at a budget/time standstill with my FI conversion, but I to am intregued by this idea.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I plan on doing a LOT of mods on a soon to be had 2nd XS1100. I want to FI and turbocharge the engine. I would be VERY interested in the FI manifold/kit.
                    Let me know what cost will be, as I do have to keep it down. I was going to try and build my own, but I'd rather save my time for some of the other mods I'll be doing.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am right there with you. I would be interested in those exact same mods. Would prefer to buy another XS though to use as a daily driver. Will be a while.
                      Travis Miller
                      1978 E

Comment

FI

I said to my partner at work just yesterday, "I wish my bike was fuel injected, then no messing with carbs"

Let us know the progress, and the cost as soon as possible, good luck.
                        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Well, I wish you all the best of luck, but I'll keep my carbs!

Look at all the extra technical stuff you're adding that can go wrong, the electrical fuel pump, the O2 sensor, the FI control box, the Throttle Position sensor, the Injector(s). And if they crap out, you're essentially dead on the road. At least, with 1 bad carb you can still nurse the bike home?

Thanks, but no thanks for FI!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'd be very interested. In my 5 years or so of fiddling with the carbs, and at my altitude, I've had average results.

I've been waiting for someone to put together the kit with some instructions. I'll be watching this thread along with the others on FI.

I do agree with TC, though, too. Would be nice to get rid of those diaphragms and such though.

Ben
                            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                            1982 XS650
                            1980 XS1100g
                            1979 XS1100sf
                            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

$200-$300.
                              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                              1982 XS650
                              1980 XS1100g
                              1979 XS1100sf
                              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                              X