Transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Strom,

As for the Tranny, you only should need to remove the countershaft which has the drive gears on it, and so you should be able to do the repair without necessarily having to pull the entire tranny assembly, so working thru the bottom should work. IF you did have to remove the whole tranny, then you would need to split the cases!

So....you can work on the bottom by just flipping it over and leaving it in the frame. After you flip it over, then you can remove the TT's and swingarm, fix and then replace with wheels to make it easier to turn it back right side up!

BTW, I thought Steve last year sent you an entire XS11 engine? IS this the one that's got a trashed tranny?? OR did you even receive that engine that we pitched in $$ for shipping to send it to you?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Didn't hear anything from Steve. Maybe he decided to resurrect that XS, which is OK, since my bike ran like a champ till now.
      Anyway, I found a guy who has a complete XS11 in boxes. That bike has about 12.000 miles on, and I would hate to dissasemble that engine. Would not be cheap anyway, but I'm kinda nagging him for an exhaust system. He has another really nice XS parked in his living room He alredy gave me the middle drive when mine crapped out.
      I think I'll pull the engine anyway. I kinda doubt all the damage is on the bottom.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

When I was turning wreches, if a bike needed gears, we put in new ones. Because of this I have no experience under cutting grear dogs.

How do you maintain the contact surfances on all the dogs when you're cutting them? If the dogs don't make even contact, it will lead to one of them snapping off.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey Tony,

On the 1st gear, there are 6 contact surfaces, so the tension is spread out over more surfaces, and with 1st and 2nd, I used a caliper to measure the resultant thickness to keep them all to the same size and amount of grinding to help ensure even contact with all dogs in the slots!

I've hammered the heck out of mine in 1st and 2nd, doing the occasional wheelie and such, and they have held very well so far!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I guess I'll just have to try it sometime but it seems rather dificult to get right.

I want to blueprint the gearbox in my spare engine over this winter then drop it in the Mongrel before spring. I'll look into under cutting the gears as needed when I'm in there.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

OK, its official. I have to pull the engine.
              I took off the oil pan and all the rest of the junk needed to get to the countershaft.
              One good news.... no abnormal metal shavings in the oil.
              Another good news.... no abnormal shavings in the oil pan. Well... untill I found 2 gear teeth.
              The countershaft won't come out. The top shaft gear fork won't fall out neither. It is in 4th gear. Anyway, I was bitching about the fork, spun the gearbox a bit and there it was. On the top 3rd gear pinion was missing 2 teeth. So, the engine has to come out tomorrow and.... the day after tomorrow I have to work... maybe I can put it back together next weekend. The engine at least. Still have to replace the swingarm, tripple trees,... and stuff. At least I got a new complete tranny. 5th and 2nd gear dogs and thingies look a bit worn (at least the "paint" looks worn), so I guess I'll combine the two to get a complete gearbox.

LP

Comment

OK, so here it is...
                While riding:
                1. gear: OK
                2. gear: OK
                3. gear: rattling like a machine gun
                4. gear: made funny noises while braking with the engine, while accelerating OK
                5. gear: Slight twitches.

Now that I took it apart and after a brief inspection:
                1. looks OK
                2. gear dogs worn beyond repair, slots look fixable.
                3. looks OK
                4. gear pinion has 2 teeth missing
                5. looks OK

I'll clean the whole thing and take another look at it. Looks like I won't do any combining tho.

LP

Comment

Working...
                X