Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sight glass issues.

Hello all!
    The '80 Special is running like a champ...
    Have a question about cleaning the oil sight glass.
    Saw elsewhere on the site that 'cleaning tech tips' exist, but haven't seen any definitive answers other than to take apart the cases...would rather not do that.
    Any ideas?

Best,

SJ

Oil Site Glass

Hey SJ, I guess to clean the inside you must open the case.
    Hold er Nute she smells alfalfa

Comment

clean

When you change your oil, put the plug back in and add 2 liters of raw gas shake the bike around . drain the gas out let it sit a while top up the oil. Should be cleaner other than that take the case off. .........MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Well, the glass is held in place with a metal slotted piece, to allow the oil to flow around it. After draining the oil, you could try some spray carb cleaner on a straw, and you may be able to aim it around the corner of the filler spout. Also, you can try affixing a long cotton swap/Q-tip onto the end of a stick, dip the tip in carb cleaner or solvent, and then swab the glass as best as you can poking it inbetween the metal slots that cover the glass from the inside. Also, try adding some Mystery Marvel oil in it BEFORE draining it, run it for a few minutes at normal temps, just don't rev the engine hard OR drive it, no real load on the engine. It removes varnish and gums from the engine and doesn't harm the plates! Then drain and refill.

However, if you need to pull the cover for clutch replacement, then it's easy to access and clean!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

dipstick

You can see through mine OK but because my sidecar gets in the way the only way to see the window itself is to carry a little mirror on a telescoping tubular handle. Lucky me that I got such a thing as a birthday gift a while back, right?
          What I want to know is what dipstick decided the XS11 didn't need a dipstick?
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Gents!
            Thanks for the timely tips. Will be able to get to this issue a little later today.

Best to all!

SJ.

Comment

Let us know what works best!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

...sidecar gets in the way...
                Fred, how do you get an accurate oil level reading since when set up properly the bike usually leans away from the sidecar slightly? Do you sort of guestimate?
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                X