'81 MNS side cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '81 MNS side cover

I just bought an '81 Midnight Special to go with my XJ. It is missing the left (battery side) side cover. I bought one for a special (with round holes on top) but it doesn't fit. I guess they made the specials a little different. Does anyone have one that they'd like to sell or trade? Thanks.

Phil

What seems to be the difference betwen the two? I just checked at Yamaha's parts catalog, and I see there are different part numbers, but they looked the same. Sometimes just the number and location of the mounting holes for the emblems can make the P/N change, but the basic part will be the same.

Comment

The mounts for the top don't match up. The top left slides on fine, but the top right one points down instead of up like the left one. Am I installing it incorrectly?

Comment

Yes you are trying to install it wrong. The open hole goes under the mounting tab, and the closed hole goes over the top of the other post. Place the closed hole on first, then the open hole pushes onto the post/grommet. Then pop the bottom of the cover into the lock.

Comment

I'm thinking it isn't from a special. It only says XS Eleven...no special. The toolbox is in the way, that's why I think it is the wrong one. I have a photo of it if you'd like to see it.

Comment

If it only says XS Eleven, then it is a from a Standard, and they are different. Does the bike still have the side cover lock installed on the left side? That is where the bottom mounting tab on the sidecover attaches.

Comment

I still have the lock, but I removed it because I don't have a key for it. I need to get a key for the gas tank as well. I bought the bike cheap and it only has 10,000 miles. It's just a new project so I've taken most of it apart. I'm thinking I may like this one better than my XJ Dragon. Are there any Specials in the bone yards in Hurst? How's your back? I just read that you had an accident. Think you'll make the next rally?

Phill

Comment

Phil, I just checked my stash of side covers, but I don't have any left side for an 80-81 Special. I have a left for an 80 Standard, and two 79 Special right side covers. Look on ebay, there always seems to be some. I lurk around there quite a bit looking for bargains on xs11 parts. MNS pieces are kinda hard to find. I may know where there is a correct side cover emblem for a MNS. You may have to buy a side cover for a Special, plug and re-drill the mounting holes for the emblem, and get it repainted.

Comment

Thanks John. I will look around. I have two right side covers, are the emblems the same?

Comment

MNS Side Emblems

Yamaha have the left and right side cover emblems listed as different part numbers so they may be different.

They are the same emblems as an '80 MNS so you can widen your search.

Also, BadgeReplicas make copies - they just list the one badge for both sides.
                    Brian
                    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Great. Thanks a lot.

Comment

I'm going to the local graphics shop and having vinyl decals that say "Midnight Special" in the same font and size as original. These will be with gold lettering (MNS theme) as opposed to the chrome from Yamaha.
                        Easier to clean and polish without 37.5 miles of crevases to catch the polish/wax.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

You may be onto something, with the decals. How much are they for a set?

Comment

Hey Pat,

I'm interested in the decals as well. The left sidecover on my SF was missing the badge and my right sidecover blew off on the way to Los BaƱos. I've made a new right cover (in 10 minutes!) out of heavy glossy black vinyl material which looks pretty good but I'd like some emblems so I'm really interested in what they'd cost. I too hate cleaning wax out of badge crevices.

"Batches?...I don' got to cho' you no steeking batches!"
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

It was a kiosk at the mall. They made bumper stickers and such. I think they sais $10 to make type the letters and it wasn't much more than that to print them.
                              I'm thinking someone could do that on a home computer. Would just entail the right printer and media (that's where they come in)
                              I'm guessing $20 for the set, I could check it out in further detail and get back.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X