Clear All

• Chain drive XS11

Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

• closeup on chain drive

Comment

• Hey Bikeboy,

Nice conversion, but what's the story with it? It looks like the swingarm is mounted on plates in front of the OEM swing arm pivot points?! Very nice hefty swingarm. Would like to know the info on the wheel and swingarm and such!?

Pggg, I'm still torn between keeping the OEM XS11 wheel or design by either using the OEM wheel, or getting a 79-80 XS650 Aluminum spoked rear wheel with sprocket setup?! Both are 16" and only 3.00 inches wide rim which will hold stock 130/90 but I know without the swingarm clearance problem, can get a 140/90 to fit easily....I'm already running this size on my 11!

Some folks will say, why bother with this conversion if you're not going to do the much wider tire, but then again, I'm looking at the performance and HP boost more than the size of the rear wheel/tire! My current XS11 handles the twisties just fine with the tire it has now!

This project is a while off yet, but I will be doing it. Want to make a tech tip, and try to do it with the least amount of trouble or expense. However, a simple bolt on isn't possible as you know. Some serious surgery is required on both the middle drive, the swingarm, some welding will definitely be needed. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Bikeboy, that's really nice. I like the longer swingarm with forward pivot.

TC, no sense mounting a larger rear tire unless you're having problems with lighting up the tire when you get on the gas. Wide tires are detrimental to handling especially if the rear is wide and the front is skinny. Ever follow someone on one of those customs with a huge tire through corners? They not only have a hard time getting it to turn in the first place if they get on the gas in the corner the bike will just stand up and go wide. For precise steering you want the narrowest tires consistent with good grip and load carrying capacity. Then again if you just like the look...go for it!

BTW the best handling bike I ever owned was my '59 Matchless 650 twin, I ran skinny little 3.25x19" tires on both ends. I tried a 3.50 section tire on the rear and it didn't handle near as well. Of course the bike only weighed 309 lbs, about half of what an XS11 weighs!
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

• Did you all check the upside-down forks on the front?
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

• .. check out how close the chain and front sprocket are to the case.. cool idea for the swing arm mount and outside bearing carrier mount
              .. its ok looking, pggg's bike still kicks the sh!t out of that one

Comment

• Looking at that, the inner drive unit is a re-designed custom machined case. The custom machined alloy brace would be holding an outer bearing on the spline. The spline is possibly re-machined original, or again, custom built. A lot of work and money on that one for sure. The rear rim is possibly ZZR. Want more pics B.B! T.C, XSmike could give you the sideways inside sprocket to rim centreline measurement on an XS650 rear wheel. If it so happens to be close to the desired 110 - 115mm dimension, then there's no reason the XS650 wheel won't fit without too much trouble. Also the XS650 rear axle diameter. XS11 is 20mm, but swingarm axle sliders can be made to desired axle diameter.

As far as tyres, the clearance between the 160 I'm using and the chain is 25mm, so a 200 would fit also! Of course you'd need to be doing front end mods too. The 160 and 110 combination handles very well. No worries at all. Radial and ply mix too, but in the real world it makes no difference, so long as the radial's at the rear. Rule of thumb from the bikeshop guys for over -the counter tyres, was 150 and below are crossply, and 160 and above are radials.

Comment

• I don't know... I don't see frame in the front. I also like the set-back pegs/ shifter. To me it looks a lot like the racing XS that came up a while back http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=7750
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• XS11 Drag Bike

Hey 81xsproject, are you talking about this bike that I posted about a year ago. It's way cool, but has alot of mods. Cost big bucks. TopCat, I found these pictures on the XS1100.com web site. I don't speak German so I can't get any info on the bikes they have posted on their web site. If we had someone who could speak German who would go to that site and get the 411, that sure would be great. Those guys have done just about everything you can think of to the XS11.

Comment

Working...
                    X