money vs horsepower/CHAINDRIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• money vs horsepower/CHAINDRIVE

I've been a member for some time and from time to time I read a post about increasing the horsepower of your bike. My question is it really worth it? My bike is bone stock (except a vetter windjammer and bags) I am completely happy with the horsepower. It seems that whatever you do cost gobs of money while getting a minimum horsepower return. Is everyone ashamed of the money they spent so they feel that like they have to brag about the increased horsepower? (joking) I know, I know half of the fun in owning a bike is tinkering with it. However, I have always held to the fact once you start screwing with factory equipment you sacrifice reliablity. Which can be important when your way out on a rarely traveled winding road. Am I way to conservative on this, is it really worth it to through thousand of $ at your bike to get a few more horsepower? Is there a mod that doesn't cost much that returns a big horsepower boost.

Re: money vs horsepower

Originally posted by petevan
    Is there a mod that doesn't cost much that returns a big horsepower boost.

Go on a diet . Tthe lighter the bike (rider) the faster it goes.
    I bought me E for $60.
    $400 got it on the road.
    I figure I've spent $5,000 on it now. It's still mostly stock. Some other bikes are faster.
    It's worth every penny.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I think it all depends on what you want and how you ride.

For instance, I won't touch Zilla. He's a bone stock XJ1100 fully dressed wiht fairing and bags. But the big Maxim is solid as a rock and runs plenty fast for touring. I'm certain I'll get close to 100K before I have any problems.

However Zeus is another story. It's a naked bone stock Special and I am planning on tricking it out. Head - cams - big bore and maybe a 4 to 1 header but I do prefer the look of the stock exhaust. I don't know what you consider "worth it" but as it stands Zeus puts about 80 hp to the tar.

If I do all I plan to him he'll be putting 100+ horsepower to the rear wheel. That is a huge difference. Ever straddled a stock FJ1200? If so you should have an idea of the difference between a stock XS11 and a tricked XS11.

But it won't be cheap...if I do most of the work it'll be $3000 or $4000 dollars.

Is there a simple bolt on upgrade to increase horsepower on an XS11 20%. NO....heck NO. I wish there were...everybody wishes there were.

Why am I doing it? Because everytime I think about dusting a stinkin' $20,000 V-Rod on 25 year old air cooled bike I get all teary eyed.

Comment

One more thing. You asked if we were ashamed of the money we spent? I assume you're talking the cost of an Eleven today. Most are in the $1500 range give or take. Some really clean ones with low miles like Zilla will cost you as much as $3000. Zilla had 5296 miles when I bought it last year and look almost new. I hadda pay $2500.

Uh...no I'm not embarrrased that I spent $2500 on a bike instead of $25,000 like some of my friends. As a matter of fact I'm quite content and very proud of my Elevens. They are very sweet ride.

I'm guessing most people here at Channel 11 are like me. They ride Elevens because they love them...not because they can't afford something else. I choose to ride an Eleven. I could literally (at this point in my financial life) ride any darned thing I want. I dunno about anyone else here but the sky is the limit...for me.

And right now (in a few years it may change)...but right now I wouldn't be caught dead on a new BMW...Goldwing...Electra Glide (hahahahaha what a joke)...you name it. Though someday I see myself riding a Wing.

I literally WANT...I have a longing desire to ride Elevens because they are GREAT motorcyles with a great heritage. The Eleven is absolutely one of the finest bikes God ever allowed man to create...IMO. So many of the bikes they make nowadays aren't even bikes. They are cars with two wheels.

And there is something an Eleven has that not too many bikes have today or ever will have. CHARACTER. Like a well seasoned pro that is greying slightly at the temples, the XS11 stands out in the crowd of copycats and wannabes.

Sorry for the sermon....
        Last edited by MAXIMAN; 07-14-2005, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replys! I guess I come from purest roots. I grew up following my dad to countless car shows. It was there I learned to appreciate old iron in the way the creator meant it. He would research every detail on his projects (66' goat, 58' vette), which was very diffficult in the pre-internet days. He has since passed away but his goat still shows up at car shows and is a class and over all winner. ( pastel yellow with a black top if anyone was wondering) Though my passion is bikes, this tradition carried on to me. I prefer to see a classic in restored condition. I have been going back and fourth on the gas tank issue ( mine 79 special) I have even considered going to a different make to get a bigger gas tank. But I quickly came to my senses and decided if the engineer intended me to go no more than 80 or so miles between fill-ups then thats what I'm going to do. If I want longer range then I'll find a bike that was intended for that purpose. Going back to the money issue I paid $200 for my bike, am up to around $1500 now just getting it to run good. (actually excellent) It was and is worth every penny, however, now I'm to the point were anything else I do will be big bucks and am satisfied. I know and abide by, "to each his own".

Comment

I weighed a stripped down XS11 shaft drive system today on bathroom scales. 52 lbs of solid battleship sinking steel - with 4 energy sapping right angle bevels and a clattery old universal. It's a wonder there's any power getting to the back wheel at all. I'm hacking at my spare parts and making a bloody chain drive right now.

Comment

Chain drive huh? Are you going for lighter weight? All the guys I know that have chain driven bikes complain about the noise and added maintenance. Everytime we ride in the rain they are paranoid about rust so they quickly lube the chain and sprokets.

Comment

I wonder how much faster a chain-driven top-fuel dragster would be?????
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

I had similar thoughts???

Comment

A lot less weight and a lot more efficient transfer to the back wheel. I've hacked up a spare drive unit and swapped the 2 oil fed bearings with sealed bearings. The l/h one dont need to a thrust bearing anymore as theres no sideways torque from the ditched bevels. An XS650 sprocket slides straight on to the spline. (about the only type that will) The smaller 16 tooth size still looks a little big for comfortable clearance at the moment - am working on it. Also hacksawed 2 old spare XS11 swingarms in half and welded the 2 non-shaft sides back together for a new easy bolt -on swingarm that'll take a decent sized sprocketed rim from a wreckers. Am in the process of tweaking and fiddling various parts and combinations at the moment. Have hacksawed out a steel plate to brace the l/h bearing unit on the drive unit. Am scouring the junkyards for various things I need. It'll be an El Cheapo conversion. Has cost 50 bucks so far. I'm quite happy with the shaft drive - this is just a sideline experiment.
                    Last edited by pggg; 07-15-2005, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Is there a simple bolt on upgrade to increase horsepower on an XS11 20%. NO....heck NO. I wish there were...everybody wishes there were.
                      You could hit it with a 25 shot of Nitrous - should cope well enough with that.

I think that a chain drive conversion would be simple enough to make. Just remove the bevel box and machine some alloy plate to hold an output shaft bearing. Might need a custom arrangement for the sprocket but that be easy enough too.

Comment

The XS650 sprockets fit the spline but are too big in diameter and are are the uncommon 530 pitch. A smaller diameter 520(common) sprocket needs machining to fit the spline. The 30 x 26 spline pattern is a rare one. 520 chains are 1/2 the price of 530 chains - also gives plenty of options on a rear sprocket.

Comment

which directon? for an xj

My buddy the mechanic said that my motor turns the opposite direction than my Fzr. He stated that these motors(due to there power) needed a bearing on the outside of the beveled gear(the one to the shaft drive) and it faces to the transmittion, thus yamaha spun this motor to get it to go forward. Fact or fiction?
                          + Do the xj and xs " spin different directions???

Comment

I watched a mechanic at the Honda dealer I used to work at do a "reverse burn-out".
                            Seems that some 2-stroke engines have the potential to run backwards. This one did just that without the mechanic realizing it. He dropped it into gear, let out the clutch, and the bike took-off backwards. He went about 10 feet and fell over knocking down 2 other bikes and 1 mechanic.
                            We laughed (understatement).
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

SD, the whole motor runs backwards(cam adjuster up front) but the spline in the middle drive unit turns as per normal the outside bearing only supports the spline - it's a thrust type to handle centrifugal force from the right angle bevels.

Comment

Working...
                              X