money vs horsepower/CHAINDRIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pggg

does the xs and xj spin the same direction ?

Comment

Dave i've never even seen an XJ1100 but if the cam adjuster's on the front then they must spin backwards like an XS.

Comment

Another response to the original post of why spend lots of money to get a few more horsepower....

Maybe the same reason people bought the XS1100 to begin with. It was the baddest on the block. Nothing was faster, nothing.
        25 years later it's still right up there with the big boys. Those with the need for speed but don't want a "cookie-cutter" bike stuff some money under the tank and enjoy embarrassing the kids on their new toys.

Most of the money I put into my E was in handleing and brakes, ss brake hoses, Tkat forkbrace, progressive springs. Yes I also have a header and K&N and re-jetted addordingly along with Dyna coils. My stock exhaust was rusty, my coils went bad, and I like not having to buy another airfilter. I'm sorry that my bike is a little faster as a result (not! ).
        A large chunk of change went into three Pacifico fairings, they keep breaking (old plastic fairings and local lousy roads).

Yes I could have a dependable, fast, great-handleing bike but I like being unique. I for one don't like seeing my clone riding down the street. I also like the look on the kids face on the 600 Ninja I just dusted when I tell him he just saw a taillight older than he is, not that I ever street race .
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The engine and powertrain of the XJ is identical to the XS other than the YICS system...carbs and electronics(vacuum advance etc). The crank...heads...transmission...pistons....rods..al l same.

Comment

pggg
            .. the 82/83 virago 920rh has the 530 chain
            maybe those sprockets will work for you

chain drive for the xs11
            .. i like this idea, keep it up

Comment

Hey Pat, sounds like you'll be needing this plate on the old dunger.

Comment

GNP, 520 chain and sprockets are the preferable type as the 530 stuff is expensive and not as common (less choice available). I went through pages and pages of available stock sprockets in a bike shop and the only one with the 26 X 30mm spline pattern is the old XS650 - but the 16 - 17 tooth are 530 and too large a circumference for clearance on the XS - not a problem though, as local machine shops can machine the 26 X 30 pattern on a smaller 520 sprocket. Will show some pics of my butchered middle drive unit with replaced parts soon.

Comment

chain drive

pgg
                  i hve spoken to the original builder of the racing chain drive xs1100.mal pitman.he says that tz750 sprockets fit on the splines as well.this is what he used also helps if you are the aust importer for yamaha.also with chain drive they took out the rubber engine mounts.
                  ps
                  could you send me a email i would like to talk to you about cams
                  cheers
                  jimg

Comment

chain conversion

what swing arm are u going to use? and how big tire is your preferance?

Comment

Just my advice Pete.... I'd stick to stock as long as it makes you happy. I've done the 1179cc kit, 4-1 exh., jet kit, airbox drill, head rebuild, and accell coils. After all that, yeah, I got lots more power. But then, it's never enough for me. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my bike, so proper jetting has been a pain for me. Unless I spring for a $3000 exhaust gas analyzer, I'll be messing with it for the next few months easy. I'm getting tired of working on it . My dads is stock, and he only puts a wrench to it for oil changes and tires. I envy him sometimes. But, then again, he's stopped trying to keep up with me
                      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                      1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                      1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                      2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                      2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Further on sprockets, the engineering boys down the road aren't to keen on grinding into pre-hardened sprockets with their fancy cutting gear (funny that) happily they have a bountiful supply of unhardened sprockets - any diameter available at the right pitch for motorcycle chain. Getting a 12 tooth and a 13 tooth - $6 each and $75 total for machining both, includes thinning down to 520, shaping the right spline pattern , leaving on a collar as a spacer, and heat treating to harden.

Dave I checked out heaps of old swingarms at the wreckers - they're all way thinner in width at the frame end - an XS11 frame is a giant. They're also a fair bit longer too - good for drag racing eh. Can't be bothered with big alterations and dramas , so I hacksawed 2 old spare XS swingarms in half and a mate welded the 2 non-shaft sides back together.

Of course the l/h side is upside down , so the shock mount gets hacksawed off and stuck back on top. Need to rig up some sort of chain adjusting gizmo at the ends (the good old hacksaw again) but I'll worry about that later. As for a back rim - heaps to choose from at the wreckers - might go for an 18 inch 160 (swingarm is now nice and wide without a shaft arm.) Caliper setup will probably take a bit of thinking - but that's just another minor annoyance to deal with later!

Comment

sent a pm jim

Comment

.. how about a chain tensioner insted of adjusters
                            like one used to put tension on the primary chain on a harley
                            or a wheel from a skate board
                            something like that might be easier to assemble for now than a sliding axel at least until you get your other bugs worked out
                            .. ohh how bout maybe a belt drive, lots of bikes have them now
                            even less weight and less enertial resistance than a chain drive
                            but not enough room to put the drive pully... never mind..

just a thought

Comment

GNPG, spring loaded tensioners - an option for sure. Belt drive aye? Mmm.. what about Mag - Lev?... mmm... Where can a fella scavenge some cheap magnets from....

Comment

Spring load tensioners....like on a dirt bike .
                                Pat Kelly
                                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                                X