Head light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light problem

My head light just went out. I checked the fuse it is good I checked the bulb it is good. I put a test light on the switch for high and low beem it is not getting power and the head light is not getting power eather. what should I check. I pulled aprt all the conections I could get to and sprayed them wit electical contact cleaner I tried to pinch the arms that hold the fuses in and broke one off now I need a fuse panel also.

Have you checked the reserve lighting relay/switch?
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Were is that and how do I check it. I know I need to get a manual for this bike.

Comment

The bike is running when you check, right?

There is a headlight relay under the tank ... a square thing...that is intended to turn on the headlight when the engine is running.

I would suspect that is the problem, if you're sure the fuses are good....
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Re: Head light problem

Your tachometer is working, right? Your engine must run to fire the headlights (unless you have a 78E model). I would suspect either the headlight relay (under the tank, near the front), or perhaps a bad ground. Check continuity between the headlight ground and the frame. The reserve lighting unit can be bipassed if it is suspect.

Originally posted by kicker42
          My head light just went out. I checked the fuse it is good I checked the bulb it is good. I put a test light on the switch for high and low beem it is not getting power and the head light is not getting power eather. what should I check.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

It should be noted that the procedure for bypassing the Reserve Lighting Unit (RLU) can be found in the forum, under the Modifications section. The title says something like "How to Remove your RLU," or something to that extent.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a forum search for "RLU" or "RLU bypass"... Good luck!
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Or, you can see some pictures here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sidskids/rlu/rlu.htm

Instead of cutting wires, you could probably jumper them.

Originally posted by corey

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a forum search for "RLU" or "RLU bypass"... Good luck!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I was going to mention skids sit, but I couldn't remember the URL off the top of my head. It helps a lot, check it out!
                Corey J. Bennett
                '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Fuse holders...

Try putting a small "O" ring around the ends of the fuse clips. Holds the fuses tight, even if one is broken off.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Thanks I got it working and I picked up a for place fuse holder at Auto Zone that uses blade fuses I solderd all the conections and mounted it in the same place and it works great the bike even runs better.

Comment

Working...
                    X