Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washer on oil drain bolt?

Hey,
    Changed oil on the XS last night and when it was all said and done I was dumping the used oil and found a washer, im "assuming" it goes on the drain bolt for the oil resivoir, but it might have gone on the filter cover bolt, can anybody tell me where exactly it goes?

Thanks.
    BAUER

Re: washer on oil drain bolt?

Between the spring and the filter element.

Originally posted by BauersXS11SF
    Hey,
    Changed oil on the XS last night and when it was all said and done I was dumping the used oil and found a washer, im "assuming" it goes on the drain bolt for the oil resivoir, but it might have gone on the filter cover bolt, can anybody tell me where exactly it goes?

Thanks.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Skids is right, if in fact you forgot to put the washer back in the filter housing. The oil housing bolt has an o-ring to seal it. Otherwise, there should be a washer (teflon, I believe) that goes on the oil drain bolt which helps seal the opening. Otherwise, your oil will leak out and that will be a much bigger problem than a missing washer.
      Last edited by Phyxius; 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM.
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
      The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
      1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

The oil drain bolt has a washer? I didn't know that. Mine doesn't. What size is it?
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty,

It's a common crush washer like on any oil drain plug, my parts fiche shows it as 15.7mm ID X 19.5mm OD and 2mm thick. You can probably pick one up at any good auto parts store. if you want to order it, here's the Yammi number:

214-11198-01-00 GASKET (15.7-19.5-2.0)

P.S. If you order the magnetic drain plug from Parts n More, it comes with the washer, and at every oil change you can see what sticks to the magnet, catching any problems early!
          Last edited by randy; 06-17-2005, 11:38 AM.

Comment

this a steel washer, not teflon or rubber which kinda got me thinkin that it goes on the drain plug, and reason number 2 is when I dropped the oil filter housing, It wasnt near the oil pan. but I did set the filter in there so it may have been stuck to the filter.
            BAUER

Comment

Check out the shematics at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx. Look for the oil cleaner. I suspect the washer you have goes between the filter and the spring inside the oil filter housing.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Bauer,

If the washer you speak of is 3/4" ID (19mm), then it is definitely the oil filter washer.

Comment

Working...
                X