Leather saddle bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather saddle bags

I got a pair of leather saddlebags for my 79 xs1100 special. They seem to fit well, I have two inches clearance from the pipes and they are short enough not to cover the passenger foot pegs.

But, the strap holding the pair together covers the seat mounting brackests. what should I do,........any one experiance this. I thinking cutting a slot for the bolts would fit through.

Advice???

Teck
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

Mine have diamond shaped holes to access those bolts, but it is easier to lift up the bags to see the bolts.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

slots for bolts

my saddle bags sound like yours and I cut slots, that worked for me, I just line up the bolt with the slot and then slid bag and seat forward and it works fine.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

I'd agree with john...heart kinda sank when I tried to mount the bags, till my brain fart left me, and I pulled out the good ol' utility knife and slashed away
        80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

had to do quite a bit of "clearancing" on mine. I found that a good pair of tin snips worked wonders.
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

So running the strap that connects the two bags together Under the seat works well? Haven't known if my special would accomodate new soft bags AT ALL, looking at them at the dealer. What about clearance of the wheel. turn signal etc?
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

you might want to get some brackets for the bags, to keep them away from the rear wheel, or if your good with a mig, have access to a mig, you can build your own. As far as under the seat goes though, ya you should be fine, just trim it as needed to accomidate the seat bolts.
              80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

I've never seen brackets available anywhere, especially for a special. I'm also pretty sure it would mount differently than for a standard.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This guy states in his e-bay sales that he can custom make them. His prices look ok...
                  Don
                  99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I now recall some bag stand-offs at Big Is Deuce. I forgot who's bike it was but he made them out of all thread, bent to the desired shape. They were covered with clear vinyl tubing to cover the abrasiveness of the threads.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Standoff brackets are easy to make. I made some for my Kaw550, just used some flat 1/8" stock and bent one end to mount to the top shock bolt, and then bent the other end straight out to support the bags. Fastened the bottom of the bags to the bracket with a zip tie. Crude, but it does work.

I've seen lots of home made ones that used stainless steel rod bent to support the bags.
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X