Special Brake Caliper Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have a few left

Anybody doing a brake resto on a Special this spring, and need some new pistons for the front calipers?

Comment

Rear

John I had the rear cal open today to put a kit in it and the piston had some pitting. No leaks yet but one never knows. I have a 81 SH and it looks like all three pistons are the same size. Do you know if they are or is it my old eyes feeding me BS again.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm 'fraid

It's yo eyes messin' wid jo hed! I have done a lot of research on this subject, and it is a well known fact here that the Special uses a different front caliper than the Standard. The Standard uses the same caliper all around, but the Special uses a front caliper with a larger piston than the Standard. The Special does use the same caliper on the rear that the Standard uses all around. I had some pistons made last year for the Specials because I needed a set for a spare set of Special calipers that I was building. I couldn't find any new ones any where so I did find a machinst... well, you've probably read the posts, so I won't bother typing it all again

Comment

I have seen the light

Thanks John, I've figured out my confusion after your explaination. Fronts are bigger than rear and I just picked up the wrong kit .
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

John,

I need one set of pistons for my bike. How many sets do you have left?

Marc

Comment

Marc

I have four sets, two that I am willing to part with. I have two Specials, so I'm keeping two sets for myself. $50 a set, plus S&H.

Comment

Does it really matter if the piston is pitted? The seal is from the rubber ring against the bore of the caliper? Seems like a quick cleanup with some emory cloth and a new seal would do it. I'll be doing my brakes soon as one of the front calipers is leaking.

Steve
                80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                Norton Electra - future restore
                CZ 400 MX'er
                68 Ducati Scrambler
                RC Planes and Helis

Comment

John,

PM me with the total cost including shipping. I will take one set. Give mr your Paypal address so I ca send the money.

Marc Arredondo
                  19171 Bynum Dr.
                  Flint, Texas 75762

Thanks,
                  Marc

Comment

Originally posted by LoserShoes
                    Does it really matter if the piston is pitted? The seal is from the rubber ring against the bore of the caliper? Seems like a quick cleanup with some emory cloth and a new seal would do it. I'll be doing my brakes soon as one of the front calipers is leaking.

Steve
                    Steve,

It depends on where the pitting is! IF it's mostly near the bottom of the piston way far away from the brake pad pressure point, then it's not a problem! But IF the pitting is close to the pad area, where the sides of the piston do SLIDE against that sealing rubber O-ring, then the pitting could cut, damage the O-ring and cause some leaking?!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X