Special Brake Caliper Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Brake Caliper Pistons

A while ago, I had asked if anyone would be interested in buying some new front caliper pistons. The prices that I was quoted by the machine shop were a little high I thought. A member, btdtdan, who is retired from Bell Helicopter knows a machinist who does contract machine work for Bell, and Dan asked him for some prices. He came back with some very good prices. It doesn't matter what material we chose, the price was $24 each for a batch of 20, or $19 each for a batch of 50. Now, my pockets are quite shallow, so I would need eveyone to pony up the cash in advance, but at those prices, it is a good deal. 20 pistons is only 10 sets of calipers, or only 9 of you guys, because I plan on keeping at least one set. I know some of you also own 750-850 Specials, and they use the same calipers in front as the XS11 Specials. Maybe one you could post in the Triples forum and see if there is any interest over there.
    Wadda ya think?
    TIA

pistons

Ok are we going to make them better??? the same?? nothing less,,,I just looked out the winder (window) put me down for four,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh.......

Comment

pistons

John that was four bikes, not to be confused with four pistons .....

Comment

Great! That's the first four sets...Who's next? We need at least six more sets

Comment

Nobody else? Only need to sell 5 more sets, and I can place an order.

Comment

Hey John,

I haven't taken apart the 79SF brakes yet, so I can't commit until I do, sorry!? This basket case needs so much work, it's hard to decide what to work on first!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

put me down for a set (2) for sf 79 special

if you can ship to uk (ENGLAND)at my exspense if not

i know someone who can take them and send them on

i can paypal you the funds US DOLLARS is this ok??
              Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Alright Gaffer!

That makes six sets spoken for, plus my own, so that's seven. Only three to go for the first batch. I have no problem shipping to the UK. I can 'adjust' the cost for customs purposes. paypal is fine. I won't kow actual shipping cost for a few days. I'll take two of my old ones to the post office in a day or two, and they can give the costs then. I will need your mailing address.
                Last edited by John; 05-12-2005, 08:47 PM.

Comment

thanx John have sent you an email i need a paypal address to
                  send the cash to

i was just thinking about rebuilding my calipers so this is great!!!

Comment

John what finish and material is going to be used on these pistons??TRUKLEON asked before , best to sort that so no dissapointments etc and we all know where were heading!!

at a guess id say approx 500 grammes in weight
                    Last edited by gaffer77; 05-13-2005, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Gaffer and other interested persons

I won't be needing for any money until I actually need to make the payment. As the machinist is a friend of a member, I don't think he will ask for payment up front, but I can't guarantee that. I don't want to be responsible for anyones money in case something should go wrong. I will inform y'all when the payment will be needed. I personally think the quality will be first rate, as the machinist makes helicopter parts for Bell Helicopter. They can be made of 303 Stainless Steel, or 4140 Annealed Steel. I feel stainless will be better as far as resisting corrosion, but I will get the machiist's opinion on which material will be best suited to our use. If I can get an order for 50 pistons, the price will be around $20 each
                      Thanks Y'all
                      Last edited by John; 05-13-2005, 06:10 AM.

Comment

stainless would be amazing!!

Comment

C'mon guys...three more sets need to be ordered before we can start production.

Comment

The pistons have been ordered, but it may take up to 4 weeks for delivery. The shop is busy, and this is a small order. Payment is not needed until the work is complete. I will let y'all know when the work is done, and I have the parts in hand. I hope everyone that claimed a set still wants them, as I cannot afford to pay for the entire lot, and I don't want to get stuck holding the bag.

Comment

Hi John yep count me in ,still want mine!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X