Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Oil Leak Question

Hi All,

For a while I've had a bit of grunge accumulating on the case near the shifter. I can't positively pinpoint the oil leak but I bent the shifter last summer while high centered on a fallen tree. Thus the shifter seal is my primary suspect.

Does anyone know if the shifter seal is one that can be replaced "easily" from the outside or will I need to do a bunch of disassembly?

Thanks,

Rob

Neutral switch?

Hi, Rob. My leak was from the neutral "switch" underneath the shifter. Mine actually dripped a couple drops every day, and I guess when riding got blown back to make grunge on stuff down there. I think this is a common problem from the rubber or plastic gasket inside the "switch" getting shrunk down or cracked over the years from all the heat (not surprising). I bought a new one from BikeBandit.com for $15.52 and it worked like a charm. I don't know if the oil in the crankcase reaches up to the level of the switch hole, so I changed it out when I changed my oil. This probably could have been sealed with a dab of heat-resistant sealer both on the inside and outside of the center insulator because it's not really a switch. It's just a center contact that is insulated from the grounded housing that gets shorted when a grounded piece inside the shifter mechanism touches it in neutral. But the new one is nice and worry-free for $15. Don't know if this is your problem, but this is a pretty easy fix (screwdriver and socket wrench).
    -Deni
    Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Comment

That should be an easy fix, Rob. The seal inserts from the outside:
      Last edited by Ken Talbot; 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/p...011/newTAG.jpg
        Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
        Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

ARG why can't i reply to things normally????
          Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
          Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

If you need the shifter seal, PM me your address. I got a bunch of them last winter NOS.
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

it is an easy swap out for that. You can easily do it from the outside. I went and got a replacement seal for that for about 2.50 a couple months ago.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X