Standard forks on a Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ken,

What's also amazing is that the photos still work! They are linked thru Mike Hart's Comcast net space, and I thought he had moved, so I was surprised to see that they were still showing!

But this brings up some questions again. Fredintoon helped clarify some of the affects of swapping different TT's from Std/Spcl models, and that IIRC, PGGG or someone showed that you can't mix upper and lower TT's from the STD/Spcls, you have to use the complete TT assembly from either model.

But someone posted that the actual ANGLE that the fork tubes were positioned in was actually different on the Specials vs. the Standards??? I thought the angles were the same ... in line with the RAKE angle of 29.5 degrees, and that it was just the more forward positioning of the fork tubes on the STD that compensated for the different location of the axle to maintain the bikes 5+" of trail vs. the Spcl!?

I bring this up because of Switz's statement of wanting to increase his RAKE? From this thread, and the other one, it was my understanding that the RAKE ANGLE is the same, that a person was only able to reduce the trail by putting special TT's on a Std frame for ease of steering in situations like sidecars. SO...I would think putting Std TT's on a Special would have the reverse affect, increasing the TRAIL making which would make the steering even heavier than it is in the OEM config....not sure why someone would want to do that???

Another thread I remember seeing was for folks who actually wanted to increase their RAKE angle, that they needed to actually saw thru the lower down tubes, bend/flex the steering neck, and then reweld some extensions into the down tubes to provide more rake angle!

SO....Switz, what exactly are you wanting to do with your machine, are you wanting to modify it for looks, or for handling?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think I will stay safe and leave it be, just noticed the 78 had lil bit more of rake and was wondering how well it would work on the special.
      1978 1100E Standard
      2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
      1986 600 Radian (basket case)
      1979? GS1000 (no title)
      1980 1100SG Special

Comment

Working...
      X