I can't seem to get xs11 to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better than having none at all!

Seriously, not good or bad. Better to know what you've got to assist us in helping you troubleshoot.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS
      is that good?
      Is that good?

Specials Rock!

Comment

What? Specials rock?

You mean like side-to-side or up-and-down? Maybe you should throttle it down, John

I loved my 81 Special, long may she roll under someone elses butt!

Comment

Bad news ScS, specials are bad. You might wanna trade up to a standard model.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
            If you have good spark, good compression and fuel it should fire unless the spark is weak or out of time.

On the ignitiuon rotor (what you called the magneto), there is a round window, through which you can see the tip of the reluctor. With the rotor pointer at the 'F' mark, the reluctor should be dead on lined up with the line on the ignition pickup. Check it. If it's off, loosen the three screws on the backplate and rotate the backplate to line up the reluctor with the pickup. Now your ignition is static timed.

Another possibility is that what you see as good spark in the free air is acutally not hot enough when the plug is under compression. Compression can blow out a weak spark. Check the gap at the pickups. The gap setting of the pickup / reluctor (described above) should be set at .7mm. I actually have mine set at .5mm.

Setting the gap is fairly involved, you have to remove the rotor plate and re-install the bolt with a spacer ( I used a 10mm nut), so you can get the feeler guage in there. The pickups have two mounting screws, loosen them to lever the pickups, closing or opening the gap. Do this for both pickups. It helps to put the bike on the centerstand, in 1st gear so you can spin the crank with the rear wheel.

HTH

Every thing seems to be intime. Now to check the gap at the pickups what exactly are you talking about here. Are you talking about the Stationary Armature? If so I also need to convert to standard because I have no metric feeler gauges. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
            X