Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds a little XSive to me!

Comment

I was told by the PO when I bought the Dragon from him that the original owner had told him that when the bike was a year old he had had it "big bored" to over 1400 cc somewhere in California. Neither of us paid much attention to it, not thinking it possible. We thought that it might be possible that it may have been changed to the "1200" area as it seems to be a LOT quicker than any XS that either of us have ever driven.
      What I am reading here intrigues me, it sounds as though the original owner could possibly have been correct? I don't suppose that there is a good way to know without tearing the engine down and the original owner passed away just three months ago!
      There were some kind of numbers/letters stamped on the lower front of the cylinders but they have become unreadable over the years and I have never seen such a thing on any other XS either.
      Is there any other way to find out? I am awfully curious now!
      The Old Tamer
      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Dragon, if you tore off the cylinder head, you'd know in a blink Good excuse to de-carbon the combustion chambers and valves..

Comment

Yep, I know I could tell if I took the head off. There was a day when I would have taken almost anything apart just out of curiosity but I don't have that kind of ambition anymore. As for carbon, who lets carbon grow in an XS?
          I suppose I really should know as I put about 10 to 12 thousand miles a year on her and one of these days I am going to have to tear her down and it would be nice to know what size rings to have on hand if nothing else, not to speak of a gasket set!
          If there really was a "1500" kit where would one start looking for parts for it????
          Talked to the PO this evening and he thought that the original owner told him 1425 cc, but he says it may have been 1485. It was twenty five years ago and he is not sure. Like I said, we didn't really believe him back then.
          This had really got me thinking now!!!!!!!!!
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

I have those pistons and barrels, Andreas. They measure out to about 1208cc, if my calculations are correct.

There is a bit of rust in one of the barrels, I hope I will be able to hone it out.

The only issue I have is where to find new rings for these. The pistons were made by RC or RK engineering, I would have to go out and look in the pistons to make sure.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

My hot rod is supposed to be 1203 cc.
              Find width and thickness of old ring.
              Can cut down a new ring that is close (like cutting/filing for end gap)

mro
              btw, RC Engineering sounds familure

Comment

It says RC Eng on the underside of the pistons.

I think they were big in motorcycle racing many years ago, but now seem to be all into fuel injection systems.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

how big?

so, if someone wanted to put 1300 kit in the stock jugs?
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock
                  80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                  X